1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

King's College London Maths/physics presitge

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    I'm currently a sixth form student and have recently been accepted to KCL to study mathematics. I'm seriously considering accepting the offer but before I want to know how is the department generally viewed? Would I still be able to go on to a "better" institution after my degree to do a PhD? If anyone could analyse their course, or just give their opinion on the university itself it'd be really appreciated.

The modules offered: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/mathe...les/index.aspx [Broken]

I plan to go onto a Maths/Physics PhD.

Edit: Sorry for title spelling mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    Congratulations on the offer. King's is a very, very good university and their mathematics department is particularly good. In my opinion they're clearly in the top five in the UK in terms of their undergraduate mathematics and physics degrees.

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    thanks, I'm glad someone thinks so. All my teachers are telling me to go for Warwick or Durham or somewhere "better" but I'm not sure if I should listen to them.

Here are a link of their modules, as the above link is not working: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nms/depts/mathematics/study/current/handbook/progs/modules/index.aspx

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4
    I studied abroad at King's for undergraduate for one semester. When I got accepted for the semester, I asked my physics and mathematics professors what they thought of Kings, and they all talked about how great a school it was.

I personally loved it there for the few months I was there.

Congrats!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook