Kirchhoff's Rules and terminal voltage

In summary, the conversation is about determining the currents I1, I2, and I3 in a circuit with three batteries and internal resistances. The equations V=IR and Kirchhoff's rules are mentioned. The process of finding the terminal voltage of the 6V battery is also discussed. The solution involves writing out loop equations and using the conservation of current. The terminal voltage is equal to the sum of the battery voltage and the product of the current and the internal resistance.
Kandycat

Homework Statement

(a) Determine the currents I1, I2, I3 in the figure. Assume the internal resistance of each batter is r = 1.0 olms

(b) What is the terminal voltage of the 6.0 V battery?

24p9pio.jpg

I hope you can read my handwriting.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I1 + I2 = I3

I don't understand kirchhoff's rules and how the internal resistance of each batter means.

Physics news on Phys.org
First the way it's drawn it's I2 + I3 = I1

All it means is that charge has to go somewhere. ∑ I_in = ∑ I_out

Direction matters.

The little r's are the internal resistances of the batteries. When they ask for the terminal V of the 6v battery they want you to include the I3*r change in voltage from 6v that you would measure in real life.

To solve you need to write out the loop equations for the 2 inner loops. Those along with your current conservation give you 3 equations and you have 3 unknown currents. So then you just solve.

1szfdd.jpg

Okay, can you tell me if my loops are right?

Top: V1 + V2 = I1r + I1R1 + I2r + I2R2 + I1R3

Bottom: V3 + I2R2 + I2r = I1r + I3r + I3R5 + V2 + I3R4

Big: V1 + V3 = I1r + I1R1 + I3R4 + I3r + I3R5 + I1R4

First of all forget the Big loop. The 2 inner loops and the conservation of current is all you need.

The top and bottom look OK just glancing at them.

Now use

I1 = I2 + I3 and you can get it down to 2 equations and 2 unknowns pretty pronto.

Then solve.

Okay, so I figure out the currents. I'm still pretty confused with finding terminal voltage.

Are you saying that Terminal Voltage = I3r?

Kandycat said:
Okay, so I figure out the currents. I'm still pretty confused with finding terminal voltage.

Are you saying that Terminal Voltage = I3r?

No. Terminal voltage is 6v + I3*r. (This is if that is the right direction for I3.)

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. They were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff in the mid-19th century and are essential for analyzing and understanding complex electrical circuits.

2. What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The first rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a junction or node in a circuit must equal zero. This means that the total amount of current flowing into a node must be equal to the total amount of current flowing out of the node.

3. What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The second rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the algebraic sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero. This means that the total voltage drop across all components in a closed loop must be equal to the total voltage rise.

4. How are Kirchhoff's Rules used to solve circuit problems?

Kirchhoff's Rules are used to solve circuit problems by creating and solving a system of equations based on the two laws. These equations can be used to determine the values of unknown currents and voltages in a circuit.

5. What is terminal voltage and how does it relate to Kirchhoff's Rules?

Terminal voltage is the voltage difference between the positive and negative terminals of a voltage source. It is affected by the resistance and current in a circuit, and can be calculated using Kirchhoff's Rules. KVL is used to calculate the voltage drops across components, while KCL is used to determine the current flowing through the circuit. The sum of these voltage drops must equal the terminal voltage of the source.