1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kleppner/Kolenkow Pulley Example

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey, all. I am working through Kleppner/Kolenkow and encountered a problem when trying to follow the example pictured below. My issues comes when they say "Equations (1)-(3) are easily solved..."

As it turns out, they are not so easily solved for me! So, it appears I've found a hole in my mathematical training that needs to be filled (K&K have proved to be good at exposing these weak spots).
    e8e583d28b.png

2. Relevant equations
    All pictured above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Frankly, I'm not sure where to begin. I've tried expanding the ##\ddot{y_1}## and ##\ddot{y_2}## terms using ##(3)##, but the equations quickly become quite long. I haven't had the time to really sit down and see if they eventually clean up nicely and give the desired result, but truth be told, I don't feel too confident going into this and would love some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Build confidence by starting off with A = 0 !
    Take your time to really sit down and try another tack if things still become too complicated.

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all, you may have noticed that the xp in the figure should have been yp .

Solve Eq.(3) for either ##\ \ddot y_1\ ## or ##\ \ddot y_2\ .\ ## Plug the result into Eq (1) or (2).

etc.

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4
    Update: Got it! I can type up my solution if you guys would like to see it.

6. Feb 5, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure. Why not?

7. Feb 5, 2016 #6
    I actually solved it right before you posted your advice (I solved it in the same way):

I solved Eq. (3) for ##\ddot {y_2}## and plugged that solution into Eq. (2). This gave [tex] T = W_2 + M_2 (2A - \ddot{y_1}) [/tex]
    I then set the right-hand sides of Eq. (1) and Eq. (2) together: [tex] W_1 + M_1 \ddot {y_1} = W_2 + M_2 \ddot {y_2} [/tex]
    From here, it was just a matter for breaking down the ##W## terms into their corresponding ##M_ig## terms and rearranging:

[tex] M_1g+M_1 \ddot{y_1} = M_2g + 2A M_2 - M_2 \ddot {y_1} [/tex]
    [tex] \ddot{y_1} =(2A+g) \frac {M_2 - M_1g}{M_1 + M_2} [/tex]

To solve for ##T##, I simply plugged this result into Eq. (1), and the desired result followed immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted