Calculating Velocity and Time of a Horizontal Projectile

• Thread starter davo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the person is trying to find the time and velocity of a rock thrown horizontally from a 50m building. They used the Xf equation to solve for time, but keep getting it wrong. They then attempt to set up the problem using s = vt + 1/2 at^2, with s representing displacement. However, they realize their algebra may be incorrect and try to correct it, but still get the wrong answer.
davo

Homework Statement

A person throws a rock horizontally from the roof of a 50m building. The rock lands 70 m from the base of the building.
How long was the rock in the air in s?

I got 3.194. The online home work thingy (webassign) said I was right.

With what velocity was the rock thrown in m/s?

Homework Equations

I used the Xf equation and solved for time. Dont I just plug in the time i got in the last equation and actualy solve it? Well i tryed that but I just keep getting it wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

70=-4.9(3.194)^2 + Vo(3.194) Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you need to set it up is imagine the rock is simply dropping because the x velocity doesn't matter. So s = vt + 1/2 at^2 s = 50m v = 0 a = 9.8m/s^2

50 = 0t + 1/2 9.8 t^2

djeitnstine said:
The way you need to set it up is imagine the rock is simply dropping because the x velocity doesn't matter. So s = vt + 1/2 at^2 s = 50m v = 0 a = 9.8m/s^2
what does s represent in this?

I think i did my algebra wrong because it said it was wrong.

(49.88+50)/3.194= 31.305

sorry s is displacement

50 = 0t + 1/2 9.8 t^2 this is the equation, the height 50 is equal to zero plus 1/2 9.8*t^2 (the rock is modeled as only dropping from 50 meters above the ground the x velocity has nothing to do with it)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is velocity calculated in kinematics?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. It is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. What is the significance of finding velocity in kinematics?

Finding velocity in kinematics allows us to understand and describe an object's motion. It can help us determine the speed, direction, and acceleration of an object, which is important in many real-world applications such as predicting the motion of projectiles and designing vehicles.

5. What are some common units used to measure velocity in kinematics?

The most commonly used units for velocity in kinematics are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). Other units include feet per second (ft/s), miles per hour (mph), and centimeters per second (cm/s).