Knocking the bottom of the bottle.

• Thread starter Petrulis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of knocking out the bottom of a vitreous bottle filled with water by striking it with a palm from the top. The reason for this is due to the constant pressure of water. The force on the bottom of the bottle is evaluated correctly by taking into account the mass, speed, and time of the palm strike. This force is also equal to the force on the top of the bottle according to Newton's Third Law.
Petrulis

Homework Statement

If vitreous bottle is full of water and we strike with a palm from the top to the bottleneck, we can knock out the bottom of the bottle. Why? How to evaluate the force which knocks out the bottom of the bottle?

The Attempt at a Solution

Because water has constant pressure:

Pressure on the top = Force applied / neck area​
=​
Pressure on the bottom = Force bottom/ bottom area​
Force bottom = Force top * bottom area / neck area​

So we knock out the bottom of the bottle because the force gets magnified. Now I need to evaluate "Force top".

Let's say that the mass of the palm is M, and it moves with speed v before strike. The strike takes time moment which is equal to t.

So then this means that:

Force top = M*v/t​

And we get that:

Force bottom = M*v/t * bottom area / neck area​

So is the "Force bottom" evaluated correctly in this problem? Don't I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its looks pretty good. Your pressure equation is right. Then you find the acceleration and force on the hand, which has to be equal to the force on the top of the bottle:

For the hand:
v_i=-v
v_f=0
t=t

[tex]v_f=v_i+at[/tex]

so [tex] a =\frac{-v_i}{t} =\frac{v}{t}[/tex]

Then the force on the hand becomes:

[tex]F=ma=\frac{mv}{t}[/tex]

Which is equal to the force on the top of the bottle by Newton's Third Law.
Yup looks good to me.

Last edited:

I would like to clarify a few points in this scenario. First, the statement that "water has constant pressure" is not entirely accurate. While water does exert pressure on the walls of a container, this pressure can vary depending on the depth of the water and the shape of the container. Additionally, the statement that "the force gets magnified" is not entirely accurate either. The force applied to the bottom of the bottle is not necessarily larger than the force applied to the top, but rather it is distributed over a smaller area, resulting in a higher pressure.

To evaluate the force that knocks out the bottom of the bottle, we need to consider the properties of the bottle and the water, as well as the force applied. Factors such as the thickness and strength of the bottle's glass, the volume and weight of the water, and the force and speed of the strike all play a role in determining the force required to break the bottle's bottom.

In terms of the equation provided, it is important to note that the mass of the palm (M) and the speed of the strike (v) are not the only factors that contribute to the force applied. The angle and surface area of contact between the palm and the bottle also play a significant role. Additionally, the time moment (t) should be replaced with the duration of the impact, as this will affect the force applied.

Overall, it is difficult to accurately evaluate the force required to knock out the bottom of the bottle without specific measurements and experimental data. I would recommend conducting controlled experiments to determine the force needed in this scenario, rather than relying solely on calculations and assumptions.

1. What is "Knocking the bottom of the bottle"?

"Knocking the bottom of the bottle" is a common phrase used to describe the act of tapping or hitting the bottom of a bottle to release gas bubbles or create a sound. It is often done with carbonated drinks such as soda or beer.

2. Why do people knock the bottom of the bottle?

People knock the bottom of the bottle to release gas bubbles that have formed inside the bottle. This can help reduce the amount of foam when opening the bottle and can also create a more satisfying sound when opening the bottle.

3. Does knocking the bottom of the bottle really work?

Yes, knocking the bottom of the bottle can release gas bubbles and help reduce foaming when opening the bottle. However, it may not always work and can vary depending on the type of bottle and the amount of carbonation in the drink.

4. Is knocking the bottom of the bottle harmful?

No, knocking the bottom of the bottle is not harmful. It is a common practice and does not have any negative effects on the drink or the person consuming it.

5. Does knocking the bottom of the bottle affect the taste of the drink?

In most cases, knocking the bottom of the bottle does not affect the taste of the drink. However, if the bottle is shaken too vigorously, it may cause the drink to lose some of its carbonation, resulting in a flatter taste.