Finding the normal force of a block under water, under pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
JoeyBob
Messages
256
Reaction score
29
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
dP/dz = -density*gravity
So since the block is at the bottom there's no pressure pushing it up. To calculate the mass and force of gravity, I multiplied the density of the block by its height and cross sectional area and got 564 kg. Multiplying this by 9.8 I got the force of gravity of 5527.2 N.

Now to find the force of pressure from the water acting on the block I multiplied the waters density by the cross sectional area and height (1.2-0.2) and gravity. This gave 14700.

Adding the two forces I get 20227.2 which ends up being 2.02272 when the answer is suppose to be 8.08.
 
Attachments
  • question.PNG
    question.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
since the block is at the bottom there's no pressure pushing it up
I don't think you should suppose a watertight seal between the block and the bottom of the tank.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
What about the air pressure?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JoeyBob and Chestermiller
caz said:
What about the air pressure?
The question is a bit deceptive. It is natural to think we are being asked for the normal force from the tank, but in fact it wants the total force acting on the base of the block. Even assuming it is not a watertight seal, that includes the force due to the pressure in the water there, which in turn includes a component from the air pressure acting on top of the water.
 
caz said:
What about the air pressure?
haruspex said:
The question is a bit deceptive. It is natural to think we are being asked for the normal force from the tank, but in fact it wants the total force acting on the base of the block. Even assuming it is not a watertight seal, that includes the force due to the pressure in the water there, which in turn includes a component from the air pressure acting on top of the water.

Thanks for the help, I had to multiply the air pressure from the cross sectional area and then add it to the other forces I got. This gave the right answer.

Why don't I multiply this one by gravity like I did the others?
 
Pressure already includes the effects of gravity. It is caused by the weight of the atmosphere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller