Finding the normal force of a block under water, under pressure

In summary: I don't think you should suppose a watertight seal between the block and the bottom of the tank.What is the depth of the water at the top of the block?The question is a bit deceptive. It is natural to think we are being asked for the normal force from the tank, but in fact it wants the total force acting on the base of the block. Even assuming it is not a watertight seal, that includes the force due to the pressure in the water there, which in turn includes a component from the air pressure acting on top of the water.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
dP/dz = -density*gravity
So since the block is at the bottom there's no pressure pushing it up. To calculate the mass and force of gravity, I multiplied the density of the block by its height and cross sectional area and got 564 kg. Multiplying this by 9.8 I got the force of gravity of 5527.2 N.

Now to find the force of pressure from the water acting on the block I multiplied the waters density by the cross sectional area and height (1.2-0.2) and gravity. This gave 14700.

Adding the two forces I get 20227.2 which ends up being 2.02272 when the answer is suppose to be 8.08.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
since the block is at the bottom there's no pressure pushing it up
I don't think you should suppose a watertight seal between the block and the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
What is the depth of the water at the top of the block?

Chestermiller said:
What is the depth of the water at the top of the block?
@JoeyBob's working has the term (1.2-0.2).

haruspex said:
@JoeyBob's working has the term (1.2-0.2).
Does this mean it is 1.0 m below the surface?

Chestermiller said:
Does this mean it is 1.0 m below the surface?
The top is, I believe.

What about the air pressure?

Likes JoeyBob and Chestermiller
caz said:
Yes. When you include the air pressure, you get the desired answer.

caz said:
The question is a bit deceptive. It is natural to think we are being asked for the normal force from the tank, but in fact it wants the total force acting on the base of the block. Even assuming it is not a watertight seal, that includes the force due to the pressure in the water there, which in turn includes a component from the air pressure acting on top of the water.

caz said:
haruspex said:
The question is a bit deceptive. It is natural to think we are being asked for the normal force from the tank, but in fact it wants the total force acting on the base of the block. Even assuming it is not a watertight seal, that includes the force due to the pressure in the water there, which in turn includes a component from the air pressure acting on top of the water.

Thanks for the help, I had to multiply the air pressure from the cross sectional area and then add it to the other forces I got. This gave the right answer.

Why don't I multiply this one by gravity like I did the others?

Pressure already includes the effects of gravity. It is caused by the weight of the atmosphere.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the normal force of a block under water?

The normal force of a block under water is the force exerted by the water on the block in a direction perpendicular to the surface of the block. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the water displaced by the block.

2. How is the normal force affected by pressure under water?

The normal force is affected by pressure under water because pressure is directly proportional to the depth of the water. As the depth increases, the pressure also increases, resulting in a greater normal force on the block.

3. How do you calculate the normal force of a block under water?

The normal force can be calculated by using the equation F = PA, where F is the normal force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the block in contact with the water. This equation takes into account the increased pressure under water and the surface area of the block.

4. What is the unit of measurement for normal force under water?

The unit of measurement for normal force under water is typically Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of measurement for force in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How does the normal force under water affect the buoyancy of the block?

The normal force under water plays a crucial role in determining the buoyancy of the block. The greater the normal force, the greater the upward force on the block, resulting in greater buoyancy. This is why objects with greater density sink while objects with lower density float in water.