Knowledge and understanding of QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle in an infinite potential well and how this differs from a finite potential well. It is an experimental result that particles can be found in "forbidden" regions with some probability, and quantum mechanics can be used to calculate this probability. The question also arises about how to measure the energy of a particle in different regions and the concept of bound states in a potential well. It is clarified that temperature is a property of many particles and a single particle does not have a meaningful temperature. In one dimension, there is always a bound state, but in higher dimensions, some potential wells may not have bound states. The conversation also touches on a specific example of a potential function with two steps and the need
LagrangeEuler
In problem of infinite potential well particle can't be in a region where ##V=\infty##. How we know that in case of finite potential well that particle is in the region where ##V>E##. How we know what is energy of the particle in moment when we localize it in the region with potential ##V##. This is very hard for me to understand. Can u help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
How we know that in case of finite potential well that particle is in the region where ##V>E##.
It is an experimental result that you can find the particles in those "forbidden" regions with some probability.
You can use quantum mechanics to calculate that probability.

How we know what is energy of the particle in moment when we localize it in the region with potential ##V##.
Do you want a good position or a good energy measurement? Those will lead to different results.

mfb said:
It is an experimental result that you can find the particles in those "forbidden" regions with some probability.
You can use quantum mechanics to calculate that probability.

Do you want a good position or a good energy measurement? Those will lead to different results.

That is not my question. I asked how we know energy of the particles in different region?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_potential_well
"There are two possible families of solutions, depending on whether E is less than (the particle is bound in the potential) or E is greater than (the particle is free)."

How we know from measurement is it particle free or not?

I want to know more about this measurements. I know how to solve this problem with use og mathematics.

LagrangeEuler said:
That is not my question. I asked how we know energy of the particles in different region?
That does not exist. The particle has a unique [expectation value of the] energy, which does not depend on the position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_potential_well
"There are two possible families of solutions, depending on whether E is less than (the particle is bound in the potential) or E is greater than (the particle is free)."

How we know from measurement is it particle free or not?
Measure the energy of the particle ;). Or just see if it stays in the well (and in its direct vicinity) - if it does, it is not free, otherwise it is free.

I have a problem with this measurements. How they measure those quantities. In real experiment you will need to think about temperature, all other kinds of noise...

What about bond states in the well. If finite potential well is symmetric then for ##E<V##, there are bond states. If isn't symmetric then could be bound states. Why is that physically?

Temperature is a property of many particles at the same time, a single particle does not have a (meaningful) temperature.

What about bound states? Well, those are the states with E<V, what exactly are you asking?
And which symmetry do you mean?

If I have finite potential well with ##0>E>V_1<V_2## I don't have bond states for every ##V_1## and ##V_2##. Why I don't have it always.

What are V1, V2 (or where are they), and why do you have an E in the description of your potential?
Why I don't have it always.
In more than 1 dimension, some potential wells are so shallow that they do not have bound states. In 1 dimension, you always have a bound state.

It is one dimension square well. ##V_1## is potential for ##x<0##, ##V_2## is potential for ##x>a## and for ##0<x<a## potential is ##0##. Symbol for ##E## in the question isn't potential, it defines bond energy states. Can you please give me some answer?

No you don't have always bond state! That is the problem!

That is not a potential well, that is a function with two steps (where the direction of the right step depends on the sign of V2). You need some global minimum in a limited range for a (proper) potential well.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principle that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition, and can also exhibit wave-like behavior.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and explain many phenomena at the microscopic level that classical physics cannot. It is also the foundation for many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers, and has significant applications in fields like cryptography and quantum computing.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include superposition, wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and entanglement. Superposition refers to the idea that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Wave-particle duality refers to the dual nature of particles, which can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

4. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in several ways. Firstly, quantum mechanics deals with objects at the microscopic level, while classical mechanics deals with objects at the macroscopic level. Additionally, classical mechanics assumes that particles have definite positions and velocities, while quantum mechanics allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Classical mechanics also follows deterministic laws, whereas quantum mechanics involves probabilities and uncertainties.

5. What are some current challenges in understanding quantum mechanics?

Despite many advances in quantum mechanics, there are still several challenges in fully understanding and applying its principles. One major challenge is the development of a unified theory that can reconcile quantum mechanics with general relativity, which is necessary for a complete understanding of the universe. Other challenges include the interpretation of quantum mechanics, the role of consciousness in the measurement process, and the development of practical quantum technologies.