Kronecker delta symbol in calculation question

In summary: Thanks.You say that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}=\delta^\nu_\sigma## (or at least that's what I thought you where saying). I don't know what that could mean if not that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}## is equal to the constant function ##x\mapsto\delta^\nu_\sigma##. All partial derivatives of that function (and all other constant functions) are of course zero. If that's not what you want, then something is wrong at an earlier stage in your calculation.
CAF123
Gold Member
As part of a physics calculation, I have the following integral $$\int d \bar x a^{\sigma} \left[-\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\delta x^{\nu}}{\delta a^{\sigma}}\right) (\partial_{\nu}\Phi )\frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\Phi)} + \partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{\delta x^{\mu}}{\delta a^{\sigma}}\right)L\right],$$ with Einstein summation convention understood.

Using the fact that ##x'^{\mu} = x^{\mu} + a^{\mu}\,\,\,(1)##, this reduces to

$$\int d \bar x a^{\sigma} \left[-\partial_{\mu}\delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} (\partial_{\nu} \Phi) \frac{\partial L}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\Phi)} + \partial_{\mu} \delta^{\mu}_{\sigma}L\right]$$

In the first term in the first integral the term ##\partial_{\mu}## only acts on the bracketed term shown. When I use the result (1) this bracketed term changes to a delta, which then consequently changes the index on the following ##\partial_{\nu}## term. My question is, what does the term ##\partial_{\mu}## now act on? Before it acted only on the bracketed term, but now that that is replaced with a delta and using the fact that ##\delta^{\nu}_{\sigma}\partial_{\nu} = \partial_{\sigma}## it seems that the only possibility would be for it to act on the new ##\partial_{\sigma}\Phi## term. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
In the first term in the first integral the term ##\partial_{\mu}## only acts on the bracketed term shown. When I use the result (1) this bracketed term changes to a delta, which then consequently changes the index on the following ##\partial_{\nu}## term. My question is, what does the term ##\partial_{\mu}## now act on? Before it acted only on the bracketed term, but now that that is replaced with a delta and using the fact that ##\delta^{\nu}_{\sigma}\partial_{\nu} = \partial_{\sigma}## it seems that the only possibility would be for it to act on the new ##\partial_{\sigma}\Phi## term.
That's not a possibility. A product like f'(x)g(x) isn't going to change into cg'(x) where c is some number, just because f is something simple like a constant function.

Hi Fredrik,
Fredrik said:
That's not a possibility. A product like f'(x)g(x) isn't going to change into cg'(x) where c is some number, just because f is something simple like a constant function.
I agree, that is why I asked the question. I don't see what else the resulting expression would be - the ##\partial_{\mu}##, being a differential operator, has to act on something, so what would it be? I don't see what else it would be that would keep the summation convention sensible.

Thanks.

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
Hi Fredrik,

I agree, that is why I asked the question. I don't see what else the resulting expression would be - the ##\partial_{\mu}##, being a differential operator, has to act on something, so what would it be? I don't see what else it would be that would keep the summation convention sensible.

Thanks.
You seem to expect that there's some fancy mathematics at play here, but there isn't. The key here is the trivial observation that if it acts on a function f, and f=g, then it acts on g.

This is a situation where it may help to be careful with the notation. For example, don't simplify notations like f'(x) to f'. If D takes a function to its derivative, be careful to write (Df)(x) instead of something like D(f(x)). If you know what everything acts on at the start of the calculation, you will know it at the end of the calculation too.

Ok, so in this example, $$\partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\delta x^{\nu}}{\delta a^{\sigma}}\right) (\partial_{\nu}\Phi) = \partial_{\mu} \delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} \partial_{\nu}\Phi$$ Now at this point, I have my difficulty. By making use of the Kronecker symbol, thereby changing the ##\nu## index on the subsequent partial to a ##\sigma##, I get rid of it. So I understand your last post in that ##\partial_{\mu}## still acts on the bracketed term throughout, but given what it reduces to and the properties of the Kronecker symbol, I don't really see how to write down the next step above.

##\partial_{\mu} (\partial_{\sigma}\Phi)## would suggest the ##\partial_{\mu}## acts on the ##\partial_{\sigma}\Phi## term but I know that not to be true. It is really the derivative acting on the Kronecker symbol that I can't quite see how to express.

Thanks.

I think you're going to have to explain the ##\delta(\text{something})/\delta(\text{something})## notation. Is this a calculation from a book?

You say that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}=\delta^\nu_\sigma## (or at least that's what I thought you where saying). I don't know what that could mean if not that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}## is equal to the constant function ##x\mapsto\delta^\nu_\sigma##. All partial derivatives of that function (and all other constant functions) are of course zero. If that's not what you want, then something is wrong at an earlier stage.

Fredrik said:
I think you're going to have to explain the ##\delta(\text{something})/\delta(\text{something})## notation. Is this a calculation from a book?
Sort of, I'm trying to obtain the result in Di Francesco's book on CFT where he derives the Noether current. The integral above is exactly the second term in the very last integral of my other thread here:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=760137 I could not find a way to make this second term go to zero generally, nor could my professor (can you see any way? ;) ) so we thought we would try it out on various symmetry transformations to test its validity. As you can see from that thread, strangerep already got the same result and indeed I have verified the term vanishes for a Lorentz transformation, but not quite translation (the case in this thread) or dilations. The notation is just a derivative wrt the symmetry parameter a. ##x^{\nu}## and ##a^{\mu}## are contravariant components of 4 vectors, for example if the space is (3+1) dim Minkowskian.

You say that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}=\delta^\nu_\sigma## (or at least that's what I thought you where saying).
Yes

I don't know what that could mean if not that ##\frac{\delta x^\nu}{\delta a^\sigma}## is equal to the constant function ##x\mapsto\delta^\nu_\sigma##. All partial derivatives of that function (and all other constant functions) are of course zero. If that's not what you want, then something is wrong at an earlier stage.
For a translation, ##x'^{\mu} = x^{\mu} + a^{\mu} \Rightarrow x'^{\mu} - x^{\mu} = \delta x^{\mu} = a^{\mu}## so ##\delta x^{\mu}/\delta a^{\sigma} = \delta^{\mu}_{\sigma}##. That is just a mathematical re writing of the fact that the change of the vector ##\mathbf x## in the ##\mu## direction is only dependent on the component of ##\mathbf a## in the ##\mu## direction.

Last edited:
Wait, so you need this integral to be zero, and you've found that each term contains a derivative of a constant function? That solves the problem, doesn't it?

I'm looking at the book right now. I really hate its presentation of these things.

Fredrik said:
Wait, so you need this integral to be zero, and you've found that each term contains a derivative of a constant function? That solves the problem, doesn't it?
Do you mean to say that ##\partial_{\mu}\delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} = 0## since the Kronecker delta can be represented as the unit matrix, which is constant.
If that is all there is to it, then thanks - I got distracted by the property of the Kronecker symbol.
I'm looking at the book right now. I really hate its presentation of these things.
I see, it appears strangerep and vanhees71 shared that opinion.

CAF123 said:
Do you mean to say that ##\partial_{\mu}\delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} = 0## since the Kronecker delta can be represented as the unit matrix, which is constant.
It's even simpler than that. For all ##\nu,\sigma\in\{0,1,2,3\}##, we have ##\delta^\nu_\sigma\in\{0,1\}##, so ##\partial_\mu## acts on one of the two constant functions ##x\mapsto 0## or ##x\mapsto 1##.

But I have to say that I still don't understand the notations. So I still can't be 100% sure that the calculations must be interpreted this way.

1. What is the Kronecker delta symbol and what does it represent?

The Kronecker delta symbol, denoted by δ, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the discrete version of the Dirac delta function. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent the identity matrix, or to simplify calculations involving sums and products.

2. How is the Kronecker delta symbol used in calculations?

In calculations, the Kronecker delta symbol is used to represent a value of 1 when the indices are equal, and a value of 0 when the indices are not equal. This allows for simplification of equations and can be used to express the Kronecker delta as a sum or product of other mathematical expressions.

3. What is the difference between the Kronecker delta symbol and the Dirac delta function?

The Kronecker delta symbol is a discrete version of the Dirac delta function, which is a continuous function. While the Kronecker delta symbol is defined for integer values of the indices, the Dirac delta function is defined for real numbers. Additionally, the Kronecker delta symbol is used in discrete mathematics and physics, while the Dirac delta function is used in continuous mathematics and physics.

4. Can the Kronecker delta symbol be used in multiple dimensions?

Yes, the Kronecker delta symbol can be extended to multiple dimensions. In this case, it becomes a tensor with a specific number of indices depending on the dimensionality of the space. Each index represents a particular dimension, and the values of the tensor are determined by comparing the indices of the different dimensions.

5. What are some common applications of the Kronecker delta symbol?

The Kronecker delta symbol has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in matrix algebra, tensor calculus, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations, simplify differential equations, and express mathematical identities.