1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab Help: Find Miller Indices from Diffraction Pattern?

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    I'm currently in a modern physics class and one of our labs was an electron scattering experiment that required the use of a cathode ray tube and a target foil. We aim the electron beam through one of four quadrants on the target foil and measure the diameter of the ring diffraction pattern produced. Only 4 rings were visible, so we measure all four, change the accelerating potential for the electron beam, and repeat the measurements.

In the data analysis, it's suggested that we plot sin[.5*arctan(r/D)] vs [pi*h_bar/(a*SQRT(2meV))]. This plot should result in a linear graph with a slope that is equal to SQRT(h^2 + k^2 + l^2 ).

My issue is that I create this plot for the first ring at 3 different accelerating potentials but my slope is nowhere near a reasonable value (.66, impossible for the square root of an integer). If someone sees an issue in my method I'd really appreciate the correction, because I don't see where I've gone wrong.

Here's the data:

for n=1

V = 8kV, 9kV, 10kV

r = 1.0167cm, 0.9583cm, 0.925cm

distance from target foil to screen is 17.3355cm

The quadrant used contained an aluminum polycrystalline target with a given lattice constant a = 4.04145 Angstroms.

That should be all anyone needs to check the data. Looking it up online I found that the first miller index of Aluminum polycrystalline should be [1,1,1] which means the slope of the line should be 1.732. My slope is 0.666...

My plot for the other rings is similarly incorrect, so I'm guessing if I can figure out what's wrong with the first plot it will fix the others.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted