1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miller Indices for FCC and BCC and XRay Diffraction Peaks

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    In my Physics lab, I'm doing X-Ray diffraction and attempting to determine the crystal structure of some common salts. To do this, I first need to determine the Miller Indices for the crystal structures that I'm considering. I can then match the location of peaks in X-Ray data (we're using monochromatic light) to the Miller Indices. (via Bragg's law)

I, however, only have a rough idea of how to find the Miller Indices of all of the planes I should be considering.

Relevant equations
    By Bragg's law, we have that for two peaks in our X-Ray data located at [tex]\theta_1[/tex] and [tex]\theta_2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\sin^2 (\theta_1)}{\sin^2 (\theta_2)}=\frac{h_1^2+k_1^2+l_1^2}{h_2^2+k_2^2+l_2^2}[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

For the simple cubic lattice, which is one of the structures I'm considering, I know that I have the planes (100),(110),(111) and various permutation of those optionally involving minus signs.

I can figure out the Miller Indices of a plane if I can see clearly where the plane intersects the axes (and in my lab, we have some models of crystals, so I was using that), but I can't seem to figure out the planes or Miller Indices or anything from just the description of a crystal structure.

If I know the locations of all of the atoms, how can I calculate the Miller Indices of the planes that touch these atoms?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted