How can NO and HNO3 be removed during the lab preparation of dinitrogen?

In summary, to increase the purity of Dinitrogen gas produced, NH4Cl and NaNO3 can be mixed to yield NH4NO2. Gently heating the compound will produce N2 and water, with the possibility of small amounts of NO and HNO3 being formed. To remove these byproducts, the gas can be passed through a supply of oxygen to convert NO to NO2, which can then be dissolved in water to yield Nitrous and Nitric acid. Alternatively, heating alkali metal azides can also yield a high lab yield of Dinitrogen gas.
peeyushkant
how are NO and HNO3 produced during the preparation of Nitrogen using NH4Cl and NaNO3 removed so that purer product could be obtained

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can't say I understand what the question is about. Try to reword it.

I think he is asking how to increase the purity of Dinitrogen gas produced as of reaction of NH4Cl with NaNO3, and he stated that he need to remove the byproducts.

I conjecture that if we mix NH4Cl and NaNO3, the resultant compound will yield NH4NO3, which, is an explosive I suppose. Gently warming the mixture will produce N2O, not N2.

If you want to produce N2, try making NH4NO2.

you are right
it will be NH4NO2 but small amounts of NO and HNO3 are also produced in this reaction.
I wanted to know which reagent might be used and equation of the reaction that will take place on using that reagent

Just gently warm the above mentioned compound, as it is not an innocent compound. In fact, it is an explosive material.

Heating it gently will yield N2 and water. If NO is formed (I don't know how), you can pass this gas first through a supply of oxygen. Oxygen will convert NO to NO2. Now pass this mixture through water. NO2 is soluble in water, yielding Nitrous and Nitric acid.

Nitric acid formed in the reaction will just stay in the solution, no need to worry except when handling the solution. You got yourself a good yield of Dinitrogen.

In my opinion, if you want high lab yield of Dinitrogen gas, you should heat alkali metal azides.

1. What is dinitrogen?

Dinitrogen, also known as nitrogen gas, is a diatomic molecule composed of two nitrogen atoms bonded together. It is the most abundant gas in Earth's atmosphere, making up about 78% of the air we breathe.

2. How is dinitrogen prepared in a lab?

Dinitrogen can be prepared in a laboratory setting through a process called fractional distillation. This involves cooling and compressing air to separate its components, with dinitrogen being the last gas to condense. It can also be produced through the decomposition of certain compounds, such as ammonium nitrite.

3. What is the purpose of preparing dinitrogen in a lab?

Dinitrogen has a variety of uses in laboratory settings, including as an inert gas for reactions that are sensitive to oxygen or moisture, as a carrier gas in gas chromatography, and as a coolant in cryogenics. It is also used in the production of ammonia, which is used in fertilizers and other industrial processes.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when preparing dinitrogen in a lab?

As with any gas, it is important to handle dinitrogen with caution. It is a colorless, odorless gas that can displace oxygen in a confined space, leading to asphyxiation. It is also important to ensure that the gas is not contaminated with other substances, as this can affect the outcome of experiments.

5. Can dinitrogen be prepared on a larger scale outside of a lab?

Yes, dinitrogen can be prepared on a larger scale through the industrial process of fractional distillation of liquid air. This method is used to produce large quantities of nitrogen gas for industrial and commercial uses, such as in the production of steel and electronics.