Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparation of murexide indicator for Ca measurement

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    I want to prepare murexide indicator for Ca measurement using EDTA titrimetric method. I am following the procedure set by the American Public Health Association (APHA), however, I only have murexide diluted with K2SO4 (1:250). I want to know if I can use this as a substitute, and if yes, how.

The following is the procedure described by APHA:

Murexide (ammonium purpurate) indicator: This indicator changes from pink to purple at
    the end point. Prepare by dissolving 150 mg dye in 100 g absolute ethylene glycol. Water
    solutions of the dye are not stable for longer than 1 d. A ground mixture of dye powder and
    sodium chloride (NaCl) provides a stable form of the indicator. Prepare by mixing 200 mg
    murexide with 100 g solid NaCl and grinding the mixture to 40 to 50 mesh. Titrate immediately
    after adding indicator because it is unstable under alkaline conditions. Facilitate end-point
    recognition by preparing a color comparison blank containing 2.0 mL NaOH solution, 0.2 g solid
    indicator mixture (or 1 to 2 drops if a solution is used), and sufficient standard EDTA titrant
    (0.05 to 0.10 mL) to produce an unchanging color.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't see why the mixture you have can't be substituted for the suggested NaCl/murexide powder. Even the mass ratio is in the same ballpark.

4. Apr 23, 2017 at 7:32 PM #3
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted