1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Labelling sets in a Venn diagram

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Label each set in the following Venn diagram as described in the attached pdf file.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Unable to find a relationship that can describe the second set B. Obviously set A is a collection of Odd numbers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this all the information there is? If so, I think the question is asking you to identify the unions, intersections, whatever. I doubt the fact that the numbers in A all happen to be odd is of any relevance.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. The question is asking to classify each set. There seems to be a pattern or relationship between the two sets that I can not figure out!

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I find it extremely unlikely that you would be asked to find a pattern here. There just isn't enough data to go on, and it's not the sort of question likely to be asked in elementary set theory.
    In your first post you said 'label the sets'. That's not the same as finding a pattern in them, and is a much more reasonable task. Trouble is, 'the sets' is rather vague. In the PDF, two sets are already labelled, A and B. What's unclear is which other sets are to be labelled, but you could obviously label the intersection of A and B, and universal set. You could also identify the union and the complements, though those might be harder to indicate in a drawing.
    Are you quite sure there's no other information which might indicate which sets you are expected to label?

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think, clearly, they are looking for groupings such as:

set {567, 845, 931} is A AND NOT B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook