Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lack of quantum fluctuations rules out holographic principle ?

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Recent searching of the light from the quasars indicate lack of the quantum fluctuation of the spacetime.
    http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1108/1108.6005v1.pdf
    Does it mean the lack of quantum foam rules out the discretness of the spacetime too ?
    How to explain Casimir effect and gravitational redshift then ?
    Are there two notions of the vacuum in the science :
    1. Energetic, material vacuum full of fluctuating virtual particles ?
    2. Mathematical vacuum made of the relation between encoded information ?

The conservation of the quantum state at long distance according to the above article indicate the conservation of the quantum information and quantum superposition.
    The mathematical holographic universe is made of the quantum information relations which are not necessarilly the vacuum fluctuations. The holographic universe is created due to conservation of the quantum information first of all.
    How the change of the polarization of the light is possible if there is a quantum superposition and conservation of the information ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

The Casimir effect is a result of the imposition of nontrivial topological constraints on the quantum vacuum. There is no requirement of spacetime discretization. Why do you suggest that the gravitational redshift is also dependent upon a discrete spacetime?

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    A discrete space is a particularly simple example of a topological space in which the points are "isolated" from each other in a certain sense. This isolation doesn't mean there is something between these points but it means that one point of that space has its peculiar property different from the neighbour.
    Therefore a photon may behave as a wave and change its wavelength in a different gravity.
    How the idiscrete space can create a background for different wavelengths of the photon ?

Einstein wrote in 1954:
    In any case, it seems to me that the alternative continuum-discontinuum is a genuine alternative; i.e. there is no compromise here. In [a discontinuum] theory there cannot be space and time, only numbers[...]. It will be especially difficult to elicit something like a spatio-temporal quasi-order from such a schema. I can not picture to myself how the axiomatic framework of such a physics could look[...]. But I hold it as altogether possible that developments will lead there[...]."
    (Einstein here calls "discontinuum" what Riemann calls "discrete manifold".)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook