Ladder leaning against a wall friction factor

In summary, the minimum angle at which the ladder can stay in position without slipping off is given by tan(\theta) = \frac{1}{2K}, where K is the friction factor between the ladder and the ground. This calculation is based on the momentum equilibrium equation N_2*L*sin(\theta) = 0.5*G*L*cos(\theta), where N_2 is the force between the wall and the ladder, G is the weight of the ladder, and \theta is the angle. When introducing a friction factor between the wall and the ladder, the calculation becomes more complex and can result in a negative angle, making it incorrect. The correct answer, according to another website, is tan(\theta) =
Uniquebum
Ladder of mass M and length L leans against a vertical wall. The friction factor between the ladder and ground is K. Calculate the minimum angle at which the ladder can stay in position without slipping off ignoring the friction between the wall and the ladder.

Calculating momentum equilibrium
[itex]N_2*L*sin(\theta) = 0.5*G*L*cos(\theta)[/itex]
(N_2 = force between wall and ladder = KMg)
(G = Mg)
Which leads to
[itex]tan(\theta) = \frac{1}{2K}[/itex]

Anyhow, is this correct or am i missing something? I found a website giving an answer of
[itex]tan(\theta) = 2K[/itex]

What if i put a friction factor between the wall and the ladder? To this i get an answer of
[itex]tan(\theta) = \frac{2K_2-1}{2K_1}[/itex]
which feels wrong as it might result in a negative angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uniquebum said:
Which leads to
[itex]tan(\theta) = \frac{1}{2K}[/itex]

Anyhow, is this correct or am i missing something? I found a website giving an answer of
[itex]tan(\theta) = 2K[/itex]

It is correct. Probably the other website denoted the other angle by theta.

Uniquebum said:
What if i put a friction factor between the wall and the ladder? To this i get an answer of
[itex]tan(\theta) = \frac{2K_2-1}{2K_1}[/itex]
which feels wrong as it might result in a negative angle.

It really is not right. How did you get it?

ehild

What is the definition of "ladder leaning against a wall friction factor"?

The ladder leaning against a wall friction factor is a measure of the amount of resistance or force that is required to overcome the friction between a ladder and a wall when the ladder is leaning against the wall.

Why is it important to know the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor?

Knowing the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor is important for ensuring the safety of individuals using ladders. It helps to determine the stability and strength of the ladder-wall connection, preventing accidents and injuries.

What factors affect the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor?

The ladder leaning against a wall friction factor is affected by several factors, including the type of material the ladder and the wall are made of, the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall, and the weight or load on the ladder.

How can the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor be calculated?

The ladder leaning against a wall friction factor can be calculated by dividing the force required to overcome the friction by the weight or load on the ladder. This is known as the coefficient of friction and is typically measured in units of force divided by weight (N/kg or lbs/lb).

What are some ways to reduce the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor?

To reduce the ladder leaning against a wall friction factor, it is important to use ladders and walls made of materials with low friction coefficients, such as aluminum or smooth surfaces. Additionally, keeping the ladder at a smaller angle and distributing the weight evenly on the ladder can also help reduce the friction factor.