1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ladder operators to prove eigenstates of total angular momen

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following state constructed out of products of eigenstates of two individual angular momenta with ##j_1 = \frac{3}{2}## and ##j_2 = 1##:
    $$
    \begin{equation*}
    \sqrt{\frac{3}{5}}|{\tiny\frac{3}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}}\rangle |{\tiny 1,-1}\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{2}{5}}|{\tiny\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2}}\rangle|{\tiny1,0}\rangle
    \end{equation*}
    $$

(a) Show that this is an eigenstate of the total angular momentum. What are the values of ##j## and ##m_j## for this state?

2. Relevant equations
    $$
    \begin{equation}
    J^2|\Psi\rangle=\hbar ^2j(J+1)|\Psi\rangle
    \end{equation}
    $$

$$
    \begin{equation}
    J_\pm=J_x\pm iJ_y
    \end{equation}
    $$

$$
    \begin{equation}
    J^2 = (J_1)^2 + (J_2)^2 + 2(J_1\cdot J_2)
    \end{equation}
    $$

$$
    \begin{equation}
    J_1 \cdot J_2 = J_{1x}J_{2x} + J_{1y}J_{2y} + J_{1z}J_{2z}
    \end{equation}
    $$
    3. The attempt at a solution

I want to use (2) to write (4) in terms of the ladder operators so I can prove the left hand side of (8) does work out to be the right hand side. Re-writing (4) gives me:

$$
    \begin{equation}
    J_1 \cdot J_2 = J_{1\pm}J_{2\pm} \mp i J_{2y}J_{1\pm} \mp i J_{1y}J_{2\pm} + J_{1z}J_{2z}
    \end{equation}
    $$

I know how ##J_{\pm}## and ##J_z## act on ##|\Psi\rangle## however I don't know how ##J_y## acts on ##|\Psi\rangle## Can someone tell what I can do to the ##J_y## terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can solve (2) for both ##J_x## and ##J_y## by computing ##J_+ \pm J_-##.

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3
    Ah great. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted