1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalization of the Angular Momentum Ladder Operator

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Obtain the matrix representation of the ladder operators ##J_{\pm}##.

2. Relevant equations

Remark that ##J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution

The textbook states ##|N_{\pm}|^2=\langle jm | J_{\pm}^\dagger J_{\pm} | jm \rangle##, from here it is straightforward:

##\langle jm | J_{\mp} J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = \langle jm | (J^2 - J_z^2 \pm J_z | jm \rangle = \langle jm | \big( j(j+1)|jm\rangle-m^2\hbar^2 |jm\rangle \pm m \hbar^2 | jm \rangle\big)##

Giving us ##|N_\pm |^2=j(j+1)-\hbar^2 m (m\pm 1)##

What I do not understand is the very first step where we write out ##|N_{\pm}|^2=\langle jm | J_{\pm}^\dagger J_{\pm} | jm \rangle## from the given equation ##J_{\pm} | jm \rangle = N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle##.

I have tried multiplying the first equation by the hermitian conjugate of ##J_\pm|jm\rangle## giving

##\langle jm | J_\mp J_\pm | jm \rangle = \langle jm | J_\mp N_{\pm}| jm \pm 1 \rangle = N_{\pm} \langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ## however I don't think this is correct as I don't see how I can get a second ##N_\pm## from ##\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle ##.

The text gives the explanation "Since both ##|jm\rangle## and ##|jm+1\rangle## are normalized to unity..." and that's the justification for this step. I don't fully trust this qualitative description so I am trying to write it out mathematically. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's the part that you are missing: For any matrix element of the form [itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle[/itex], we have:

[itex]\langle A |O|B \rangle = \langle B |O^\dagger|A \rangle^* [/itex]

So in particular,
    [itex]\langle jm | J_\mp | jm \pm 1 \rangle = \langle jm\pm 1 | J_\pm | jm \rangle^*[/itex]

See if that helps.

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3
    Thanks! I got it right away with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted