Lagrangian for a particle in a curved manifold with position-dependent metric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
vertices
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
I posted this problem on the Classical Mechanics Subforum last week but have not received many responses - hopefully someone can help here as I've spent hours racking my brain, trying to work this out!

Homework Statement



There is a particle of mass 'm' moving in a manifold with the following Lagrangian:

[tex] L={\frac{m}{2}}{g_{ij}(x)}.{\dot{x^{i}}{\dot{x^{j} }[/tex]

where

[tex] ds^{2}=g_{ij}(x)dx^{i}dx^{j}[/tex]

is the metric on M.

The question is to find the Equation of Motion - I need to work out:

[tex] {\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}[/tex]

in order to do this.

Homework Equations



To find EOM we need to set the the follow expression to 0:

[tex] {\delta}A=\int{dt[{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}dx^{i}+\frac {{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{x^{i}}}d{\dot{x^{i}}]}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



It took me a while but I understand why:

[tex] \frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}\dot{x^{i}}}=mg_ {ij}x^{j}[/tex]

So that's fine.

Now I need to evaluate:

[tex] {\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}[/tex]

The issue is there is no term in [tex]x^i[/tex] (the position) in the Lagrangian - it is only a function of the velocity [tex]\dot{x}^i[/tex]. And also, why is [tex]g_{ij} = g_{ij}(x)[/tex] - ie. a function of x - as I understand it, it is just a matrix of dim M with diag(-1,1,1,1,1,...).

FYI - the answer to my question should be:

[tex]{\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{x^{i}}}= <br /> \frac{m}{2} {\partial}_i g_{jk} \dot{x}^{j}\dot{x}^{k} - ({\partial}_k g_{ij}) \dot{x}^{k}\dot{x}^{j} [/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org