Lagrangian question - rough ball on moving wedge

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wedge and a ball on a frictionless surface. The task is to derive an expression for the total kinetic energy of the system. The participant uses coordinates and vectors to determine the total kinetic energy and discusses the evaluation of the dot product. The solution appears to be correct.
venerium

Homework Statement

(context: I'm studying for a test, and this is a question from a past exam paper.)

"A wedge of mass M with angle [itex]\phi[/itex] is free to slide on a frictionless horizontal table. A solid ball of radius a and mass m is placed on the slope of the wedge. The contact between the ball and the wedge is perfectly rough.
(a) Derive an expression for the total kinetic energy of this system."

The Attempt at a Solution

I've chosen X to represent the horizontal displacement of the wedge, and x as the displacement of the ball along the surface of the wedge.

T for the wedge is easy enough [itex]\frac{1}{2}M\dot{X}^2[/itex].

Total T for the ball must be: T due to rotational motion of the ball + T due to linear velocity (down the wedge + due to the wedge's own velocity).

We're given I = [itex]\frac{2}{5}ma^2[/itex] for the ball, so I get:
[itex]T_{rot} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{5}ma^2\omega^2 = \frac{1}{5}ma^2\frac{\dot{x}^2}{a^2} = \frac{m\dot{x}^2}{5}[/itex]
(Am I correct in only using the [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] velocity component for [itex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/itex]?)Using my coordinates, the total velocity of the ball is:
[itex]\vec{v} = \dot{X}\widehat{I} + \dot{x}\widehat{i}[/itex] (i being the unit vector in the direction of x)

From worked solutions to similar problems with blocks I've found online, I think the linear T for the ball must be:

[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v} = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{X}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 + m\dot{X}\dot{x}\cos{\phi}[/itex]

But I'm not sure where that third [itex]2\dot{X}\dot{x}\cos{\phi}[/itex] term is coming from in the evaluation of the dot product. I understand that it couldn't just be [itex]\dot{x}^2 + \dot{X}^2[/itex], but how do you go about evaluating the dot product in this case?

Any hints would be really appreciated, I'm still trying to develop an intuition for these Lagrangian problems. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
venerium said:
But I'm not sure where that third [itex]2\dot{X}\dot{x}\cos{\phi}[/itex] term is coming from in the evaluation of the dot product. I understand that it couldn't just be [itex]\dot{x}^2 + \dot{X}^2[/itex], but how do you go about evaluating the dot product in this case?

Welcome to PF, venerium!

For any two vectors A and B,

(A + B)##\cdot##(A + B) = A##\:\cdot##A + 2A##\:\cdot##B + B##\:\cdot##B.

You can show this using the more basic identity:

A##\:\cdot##(B + C) = A##\:\cdot##B + A##\:\cdot##C

TSny said:
Welcome to PF, venerium!

For any two vectors A and B,

(A + B)##\cdot##(A + B) = A##\:\cdot##A + 2A##\:\cdot##B + B##\:\cdot##B.

You can show this using the more basic identity:

A##\:\cdot##(B + C) = A##\:\cdot##B + A##\:\cdot##C

Ah, thank you! Thought it would be something simple - I'm a bit rusty on my math. Does the rest of my solution/thinking look fine?

And thanks for the welcome, I've been a lurker for years now so it's about time I joined. :P

venerium said:
Does the rest of my solution/thinking look fine?

It all looks good to me.

And thanks for the welcome, I've been a lurker for years now so it's about time I joined. :P

Glad you did!

However, ##X## and ##x## are not independent variables. So, you would need to go on and write T in terms of just one of the variables ##\dot{X}## or ##\dot{x}## before using it in the Lagrangian.

1. What is the Lagrangian question in relation to a rough ball on a moving wedge?

The Lagrangian question in this scenario refers to finding the equations of motion for a rough ball rolling on a moving wedge, using the Lagrangian method. This method involves using the energy of the system to derive the equations of motion, rather than traditional Newtonian mechanics.

2. How do you determine the Lagrangian for this system?

The Lagrangian for this system can be determined by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the ball and wedge. The kinetic energy of the ball is given by 1/2mv², while the potential energy is due to the ball's height and the gravitational potential energy of the wedge. These energies are then combined to form the Lagrangian function.

3. What is the significance of the roughness of the ball in this scenario?

The roughness of the ball affects the frictional force between the ball and the wedge. This frictional force is included in the equations of motion and can have a significant impact on the behavior of the system. In some cases, it may even lead to chaotic motion.

4. Can the Lagrangian method be applied to other systems besides a rough ball on a moving wedge?

Yes, the Lagrangian method can be applied to a wide range of mechanical systems, including those with multiple bodies, constraints, and external forces. It is a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems and can often provide more elegant and efficient solutions compared to traditional methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian method?

While the Lagrangian method is a useful approach for many systems, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for systems with non-conservative forces or systems with highly complex geometries. Additionally, it may be challenging to apply in cases where the energy of the system is not well-defined or constant.