Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

• Schools
  • Thread starter BobHouston
  • Start date
In summary: Texas A&M may have a better research program, but Lamar has a more diverse population.In summary, In Russia, In summary, Tomsky State Technical University is a good school, but after immigrating to the US, I have been out of my major filed last 5 years. Lamar University may have a better research program, but Texas A&M has a more diverse population.
BobHouston
Hi there

I have been accepted into Chemical Engineering graduate program of Lamar University and Texas A&M University-Kingsville for fall semester 2009. Both universities are attractive in some ways, that is way I have a big dilemma over to choose one of those. In fact, Lamar University has been offering $1000 scholarship for 2009-2010 academic year and also out-state tuition waive, because my I have a good scores from TOEFL and GRE and also 3.5 GPA from my previous my undergraduate and graduate schools of Russia. Futhermore Lamar University is in middle-size city of Beaumont I would enjoy my life as well as my family which is going to immigrate from Russia to the US soon. But name of Texas A&M University-Kingsville is more attractive to me, indeed it is not Texas A&M University, however it is member of Texas A&M University System. It is located in a small town Kingsville Texas, 40 miles southwest of Corpus Christi Texas and 120 miles from North of Mexico and about 160 miles south of San Antonio Texas.

I have been doing online research last couple days about those two universities and trying to choose one of those but I can not able come up with my last decision which Chemical Engineering is the best one for me. So, I need you help to compare those two universities and advices please.

I am planing to transfer my graduate study to Texas A&M University (College Station) or Texas Tech or University of Houston after taking classes one year at one of those universities or after completing my graduate study, I might pursue my PhD at those prestigious University.

Thanks for your comments and advices

Physics news on Phys.org
if you are planning to transfer why does it matter? to go lamar, do well, and then transfer.

what school did you go to in russia?

ice109 said:
if you are planning to transfer why does it matter? to go lamar, do well, and then transfer.

what school did you go to in russia?

Oh yeah, it matters, who knows I might stay until my graduation. So, I assume from your pint of view, Chemical Engineering program of Texas A&M University is better than Lamar's, if I able to transfer after one year, there is no difference.

I got my BS in Petroleum Engineering and my MS in Petroleum Process Engineering from Tomsky State Technical University, I have over one year experience in oil refinery, but after immigrating to the US I have been out of my major filed last 5 years because of immigration issue. That is why now I am not able to find nice job, and consider, my friend, this f* recession.

i have no idea the difference in status between texas and lamar. personally to me environment is much more important. how long exactly will you be staying? if it's only for a short 2 years to complete a master's then i guess i would choose texas. also you have to consider that rural texas school systems are probably the worst in the united states.

1. What is the location of Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville is located in Kingsville, Texas.

2. What are the popular majors at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

Some popular majors at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville include engineering, business, agriculture, and education.

3. What is the student population at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

The student population at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville is approximately 9,000 students.

4. Is Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville a public or private university?

Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville is a public university.

5. What are the tuition and fees at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville?

For the 2021-2022 academic year, the tuition and fees for in-state students at Lamar or Texas A&M University-Kingsville is $7,705, and for out-of-state students it is $18,995.