Land Your Dream Job at CERN as a Physics Graduate

  • Thread starter Thread starter ghery
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cern Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
ghery
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
hello there:

I am a graduate in physics, but unfortunately in my country there are not many places for me to work so, I was wondeing if I could get a Job in CERN... Can anyone tell me if there are any chances for me to work there?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ghery said:
hello there:

I am a graduate in physics, but unfortunately in my country there are not many places for me to work so, I was wondeing if I could get a Job in CERN... Can anyone tell me if there are any chances for me to work there?

Thanks

I see this type of question all the time on here. People wanting to work at CERN, at Fermilab, at NASA, at Intel, etc... etc.

Here's the thing. It is difficult enough to aim to work in a particular field of study. It is even more difficult when you narrow it down even more and want to work in a particular field at a particular location! Rather than trying to expand your horizon and trying to make sure that you are employable in as large number of employer as possible, you're going the wrong way and trying to make yourself confined to a smaller phase space!

And this is before we look closely and discover that a lot of people who "work" at CERN, Fermilab, NASA, etc, are really not employed by these institutions, but rather work for other institutions. Don't believe me? Look at any of the publications from ATLAS, CMS, DZero, CDF, etc. You'll see names of hundreds of people and their institutions from all over the world.

So kids, don't be overly enamored by the "glamor" of a particular location or employer! That is not the way to proceed with getting a career in this field. It is difficult enough to get through with the education. Don't handicap yourself by severely narrowing down your employability.

Zz.