My dream/goal is to work at CERN....

• Other
  • Thread starter VNN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cern Work
In summary: The conversation is about the OP's dream/goal of becoming a physicist and working at CERN. They are seeking advice and information about the work environment, funding stability, roles of physicists and engineers, salaries, and reputation within the scientific community. They also ask for any other advice or recommendations for better places for physicists. They mention their interest in medicine but clarify that their main interest is physics and engineering. In summary, the OP is seeking guidance on their goal of becoming a physicist at CERN and is open to advice and recommendations for other places to pursue their passion for physics.
VNN
I am hoping to become a physicist...

My dream/goal is to work at CERN...

Could some one hep me with the follwoing questions:

If you work there,is it a nice place to work generally?
Are the funding for the experiment stable?
What roles do physicist have there?
How does the above compare for engineers?
What are the salaries for the respective roles?
Its view in the scientific community?
Any better places for physicist?

Also,Any other advice is appreciated...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
VNN said:
I am hoping to become a physicist...

My dream/goal is to work at CERN...

Could some one hep me with the follwoing questions:

If you work there,is it a nice place to work generally?
Are the funding for the experiment stable?
What roles do physicist have there?
How does the above compare for engineers?
What are the salaries for the respective roles?
Its view in the scientific community?
Any better places for physicist?

Also,Any other advice is appreciated...

Thanks.

You're putting the cart before the horse here. You've started a few threads now asking about medicine vs physics vs engineering, first you actually need to pick one and start studying.

At any rate, it's infinity easier to become a physicist than to become a physicist at CERN. It's nice to have goals, but your goals shouldn't be 10~ years from now. Any answers to the above will have likely changed during that time-frame. CERN may not even exist given some unforeseeable event.

Likes Vanadium 50
Student100 said:
You're putting the cart before the horse here. You've started a few threads now asking about medicine vs physics vs engineering, first you actually need to pick one and start studying.

At any rate, it's infinity easier to become a physicist than to become a physicist at CERN. It's nice to have goals, but your goals shouldn't be 10~ years from now. Any answers to the above will have likely changed during that time-frame. CERN may not even exist given some unforeseeable event.

Thanks!

I have do have many, many smaller goals,Trust all in preparation of achieving big goals like going oxford and working at CERN...

In relation to your comment:'CERN may not even exist given some unforeseeable even'
Why is this?

I know it is an experiment but over 9 billion dollars have been spent,I sure it won't be decommissioned/other anytime soon,Right?

PS -- I have asked about medicine due to parental guidance and comparison purposes. I'm not really in consideration of it, just Physics (98%) / Engineering.
Thanks.

(Mentor Note -- all capital letters portion of this post have been fixed)

Last edited by a moderator:
VNN said:
Thanks!

I have do have MANY MANY MANY smaller goals,Trust all in preparation of achieving big goals like going oxford and working at CERN...

You need to pick what you're going to want to study.

In relation to your comment:'CERN may not even exist given some unforeseeable even'
Why is this?

War, a change in political landscape of member countries, mismanagement, scandals? It was merely hypothetical to illustrate the fickleness of life.

I know it is an experiment but over 9 billion dollars have been spent,I sure it won't be decommissioned/other anytime soon,Right?

Thanks.

No.

VNN said:
PS:I HAVE ASKED AB OUT MEDICINE DUE TO PARENTAL GUIDANCE AND COMPARISON PURPOSES,IM NOT REALLY IN CONSIDERATION OF IT JUST PHYSICS(98%)/ENGINEERING...
Thanks.

That's easy to type to a bunch of internet strangers, but have you told your parents? How did they react?

And what about:

Also,Please don't say do your passion and its not for money as i am interested in medicine as well.

That doesn't sound entirely like parental pressure to me.

If you want to end up at CERN, start by putting your work through a spell checker.

Likes lekh2003 and member 587159

1. What qualifications do I need to work at CERN?

To work at CERN, you typically need to have a degree in a relevant field such as physics, engineering, or computer science. You may also need to have previous research experience and a strong understanding of particle physics.

2. What is the application process like for working at CERN?

The application process for working at CERN can vary depending on the specific position you are applying for. Generally, it involves submitting a resume or CV, completing an application form, and potentially attending an interview or assessment. It is important to carefully review the job requirements and follow the application instructions provided by CERN.

3. Are there any language requirements for working at CERN?

Yes, English and French are the two official languages at CERN. While not all positions require fluency in both languages, it is beneficial to have a strong understanding of at least one of them. Additionally, knowledge of other languages may be advantageous depending on the specific role and department.

4. What is the work culture like at CERN?

CERN has a diverse and collaborative work culture, with employees and researchers from all over the world. The organization values open communication, teamwork, and a passion for science. There are also opportunities for professional development and networking within the scientific community.

5. What kind of research is conducted at CERN?

CERN is best known for its particle physics research, specifically in the areas of high-energy particle colliders and antimatter. However, the organization also conducts research in a variety of other fields, including medical physics, engineering, and computing. The research at CERN often involves collaboration with other institutes and universities around the world, making it a hub for cutting-edge scientific discoveries.