Landau-Lifshitz Navier-Stokes equation on which page of the textbook?

• Thread starter lsloneil
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I see some papers mentioning the fluctuating hydrodynamics, which originates from the Landau-Lifshitz Navier-Stokes (LLNS) equation. I know that the LLNS equation has added a thermal fluctuation term to the N-S equation, but I still couldn't find it on the Landau-Lifshitz Fluid Mechanics book. The references of those papers just say it is in the Landau-Lifshitz book, without telling me exactly which page it is on. Anyone know this?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

I am encountering exactly the same issue. Where you able to find the equation on the textbook?
Thank you.

I have the same problem.
I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me where to find the LLNS equation on the book.

Is it equation 1 here?

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
It may depend on which edition of the book you have handy. The first edition has an entire unit at the end titled "XVII. Fluctuations in Fluid Mechanics" which has been removed in the second edition. It's possible that these two chapters were moved to another volume (e.g. volume 5, statistical physics) but I am not really sure since I am not familiar with that book or with anything other than the 2nd edition of volume 6.

Likes adamphy