Landau series or Greiner Series - which one's better?

In summary, while Greiner is better for those looking for more challenging texts, Landau-Lifgarbagez series has many useful and accessible books.
Lakshya
I am just going to step into undergraduate level physics.

I searched for books for all the topics and I found two great series of books namely, Landau-Lifgarbagez series of 10 books and Greiner series of 13 books.

As I want to have one of them, please advise which one of them is better. Please answer keeping in mind that I don't want any basic books and want to hit advanced ones with lots of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither is good for undergrad, they are considered graduate texts.

In my opinion Landau's course is much better pedagogically. Not all of the books in the series will be suitable for an average undergraduate, but the books on mechanics, quantum mechanics (nonrelativistic theory), and statistical physics should be accessible to sophomores and above.

Good god, man, stay away from Landau. I've been trying to learn Analytical Mechanics from his book and it is a complete disaster. Greiner is, in my opinion, ten times better than Landau.

Greiner's texts are much newer (and have thus benefited from the older texts) and have more worked problems than Landau's.
Unfortunately, some of my first-edition Greiner texts (i.e. the translated ones) have numerous typos in them. I hope the newer editions have fewer typos.

For your purposes, you are probably better off with Greiner.
However, I do value some of the L&L volumes.

I've enjoyed Greiners books on QED and QCD but I wonder if there is anywhere that sells all his books in one complete set. I've seen complete sets of Landau's books.

Qubix said:
Good god, man, stay away from Landau. I've been trying to learn Analytical Mechanics from his book and it is a complete disaster. Greiner is, in my opinion, ten times better than Landau.

Your attempt to learn from it may be a disaster, but the book itself is not. I found it one of the most useful go-to books when I was taking graduate mechanics.

Daverz said:
Your attempt to learn from it may be a disaster, but the book itself is not. I found it one of the most useful go-to books when I was taking graduate mechanics.

I will agree, I learned much more from the Landau series after I got my PhD, when I actually had time to sit down and read them from cover to cover at my own pace without the pressure of classes.

For me, the problem still remains there. Ok. I want to know which one is more advanced and challenging?

I think Greiner is more of learning books, many worked out examples and detail information. L-L is more of rerefence character.

So if you want ones with lots of problems, go for Greiner. But there is no point of getting a complete series of books just for the case of having a complete reference. Get the best books in each area of physics instead.

Thanks to all, who have contributed and answered my query.

I will be waiting for other views also.

1. What is the difference between Landau series and Greiner series?

The Landau series and Greiner series are both methods used to solve problems in quantum mechanics. However, the Landau series is used for perturbative calculations while the Greiner series is used for non-perturbative calculations.

2. Which series is more accurate – Landau or Greiner?

The accuracy of a series depends on the specific problem being solved. In general, the Landau series is more accurate for perturbative calculations, while the Greiner series is more accurate for non-perturbative calculations. It is important to choose the appropriate series for the type of calculation being performed.

3. Can Landau and Greiner series be used interchangeably?

No, the Landau and Greiner series are not interchangeable. They are based on different mathematical approaches and are used for different types of calculations. It is important to use the correct series for the specific problem being solved.

4. Are there any advantages to using one series over the other?

As mentioned previously, the advantages of using one series over the other depend on the type of calculation being performed. Generally, the Landau series is better for perturbative calculations and the Greiner series is better for non-perturbative calculations. However, both series have their own strengths and should be used accordingly.

5. How do I know which series to use for my specific problem?

To determine which series to use, it is important to understand the type of calculation being performed. If the problem involves small perturbations, the Landau series would be more appropriate. If the problem involves large or non-perturbative effects, the Greiner series would be a better choice.