Is Landau's non-relativistic QM a good resource for self-studying?

In summary: It is a classic text that presents the material in a rigorous and concise manner. However, it may be more challenging for self-study compared to Griffiths' book.In summary, the speaker has completed a course on Qm with Griffiths and was not satisfied with the teacher or the book. They want to go over QM again during the summer break with a better book, such as Landau's non-relativistic QM. They are also considering watching video lectures from Prof. Balakrishnan and Prof. Patel. The speaker enjoyed Landau's presentation in another subject and is considering using their book for QM.
jamalkoiyess
Hello there,

So I just finished a course on Qm with Griffiths but the teacher was not the best, to say the least. I disliked the book too and its kind of childish or funny way of presenting stuff.

During the summer break I want to go over QM again but with a better book and by myself. I loved the area of physics and want to know more deeply its ideas and concepts.

Should I start with Landau's non-relativistic QM? I used one of their books as a reference for fluid dynamic before and I thought that the presentation was clear and helpful.

Is this a great idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are saying that the teacher was not good, you can follow a video lecture course. I prefer Prof. Balakrishnan's http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/122106034/. The lectures are just fantastic. You'll also find the lectures in the Media gallery under category Quantum.

After that, you may do the course http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/115108074/ by Prof. Patel.

These lectures are very good, and I'm myself learning from them.

Likes jamalkoiyess
jamalkoiyess said:
Should I start with Landau's non-relativistic QM? I used one of their books as a reference for fluid dynamic before and I thought that the presentation was clear and helpful.
Since you liked Landau's fluids, you will probably like Landau's QM as well.

Likes jamalkoiyess

1. What is the best way to approach self-studying QM after completing a course?

The best way to approach self-studying QM after a course is to first review and solidify your understanding of the foundational concepts and equations covered in the course. This will provide a strong base for further learning. Then, you can move on to more advanced topics and problem-solving techniques.

2. What resources are available for self-studying QM?

There are many resources available for self-studying QM, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also consult with your course professor or a mentor for recommendations on specific resources.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying QM?

Staying motivated while self-studying QM can be challenging, but setting specific goals and creating a study schedule can help keep you on track. Additionally, finding a study group or partner can provide accountability and support. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your progress.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for self-studying QM?

Having a strong math background can certainly be helpful for self-studying QM, as many concepts and equations involve mathematical principles. However, it is possible to learn and understand QM with a basic understanding of math. You may just need to spend more time reviewing and practicing the necessary math skills.

5. How can I apply self-studied QM in my research or work?

Once you have a solid understanding of QM, you can apply it in various ways depending on your research or work field. For example, in physics, QM is used to explain the behavior of particles at a quantum level. In chemistry, it is used to understand the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. In engineering, it can be applied in the design of quantum technologies. Continuously practicing and applying your knowledge of QM will help you become more proficient in its applications.