1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lang or silverman or ?( intro calculus)

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    I've just bought(and borrowed) these books :
    A first course in calculus by lang(621 pages but apparentely I've heard it lacks exercises(not enough))
    Essential Calculus with Applications by silverman(286 pages apparently very good exercises)
    or The calculus lifesaver by Banner(about the same size as lang's but more exercises)
    Calculus for the practical man (used by Feynman and only 289 pages)
    could you tell me objectively Which one would do for a 5-7 hours a day of self teaching for a month?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure where you heard it, because it's not true. There are enough exercises. Besides, it's only a first course. You should take a more rigorous course anyway, whatever book you choose.

I'd go for Lang.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #3
    Thanks

I've got the fifth edition of lang's book ,It has 621 pages I don't I can go through all of it in time(slow reader and not a lot of time)...I need something smaller and good can you suggest something? if it doesn't bother you can you make a quick review of essential calulus with applications by silverman, since you seem very knowledgeable about textbooks ,Please?...That's would helpful.

5. Jul 6, 2013 #4
  6. Jul 6, 2013 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted