Languages needed in aerospace/aeronautics industry

• Thread starter JRHawking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's plans to study Aeronautical Engineering and learn new languages. They currently speak English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese and are considering learning one or two additional languages. They are debating between Russian, German, and Japanese, and the speaker is advised to choose based on their potential future living situation. English and French are mentioned as the most useful languages in the aerospace industry.
JRHawking
Yes, I do know there is a topic on this issue, however it was done last year and I believe there may have been some updates since then.

I'm going off to university in october to study Aeronautical Engineering and I'm given the opportunity to learn new languages. I speak fluently English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

I want to learn a new language, at most 2.

Russia has a space program, Germany doesn't, however I've heard it is better to know German, and Japan has a space program as well. Also, people say Chinese is important...So, between Russian, German and Japanese, which two should I consider? Are there others you think I should consider?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself this: Do you see yourself living in Russia, Germany, or Japan? If none of these, then pick one out of a hat since they'll be about equally useful (useless). You speak English, and you speak French, which are the two main ones as far as getting you into the majority of the aerospace industry.

What languages are most commonly used in the aerospace/aeronautics industry?

The most commonly used languages in the aerospace/aeronautics industry are C++, Java, and Python. These languages are used for developing software and programming control systems for aircraft and spacecraft.

Are there any specific languages that are required for certain roles in the aerospace/aeronautics industry?

For roles that involve designing and engineering aircraft and spacecraft, knowledge of C and MATLAB is often required. For roles that involve data analysis and simulation, knowledge of FORTRAN and Simulink may be necessary.

Do I need to have a strong background in computer science to work in the aerospace/aeronautics industry?

While a background in computer science can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to work in the aerospace/aeronautics industry. Many roles require a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and knowledge of programming languages can be learned on the job.

Is there a demand for individuals with language skills in the aerospace/aeronautics industry?

Yes, there is a growing demand for individuals with language skills in the aerospace/aeronautics industry. As the industry becomes more globalized, the ability to communicate with international colleagues and partners is becoming increasingly important.

What resources are available for learning languages specific to the aerospace/aeronautics industry?

There are a variety of resources available for learning languages specific to the aerospace/aeronautics industry, including online courses, books, and workshops offered by industry organizations. Additionally, many universities offer specialized courses or programs in aerospace/aeronautics language skills.