1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace of y = -0.0563x + 0.7831

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    I have a linear equation y = -0.0563x + 0.7831

I am trying to find Laplace of this equation in Y(s)/ X(s) format. I do not know how to achieve it? Please help me.

This equation describes the performance of a motor... torque vs angular speed (motor characteristic curve approximated to a linear equation for simplicity).

It is important to have solution in Y(s)/X(s) format. I need to do a step and impulse response analysis on the system in matlab. Please give me some hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Here is what Wolfram Alpha says:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=laplace+transform+of+y+=+-0.0563x+++0.7831

[tex]\frac{y}{s} = \frac{0.7831}{s} - \frac{0.0563}{s^2}[/tex]

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    hello berkeman ,

thanks for the solution. that link is really wonderful. i did not know this up to know.

best regards,
    ganesha

5. Jul 22, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean the Laplace transform?

That's pretty straight forward, isn't it? The Laplace transform of any function, f(x) is
    [tex]\int_0^\infty e^{st}f(t)dt[/tex]

Here, that is
    [tex]-0.0563\int_0^\infty te^{-st}dt+ 0.7831\int_0^\infty e^{-st}dt[/tex]
    The second integral is just
    [tex]\left[0.7831 (-\frac{1}{s}e^{-st}\right]_0^\infty= \frac{0.7831}{s}[/tex]

The second integral can be done by parts, taking u= t, [itex]dv= e^{-st}dt[/itex] so that [itex]du= dt[/itex] and [itex]v= -(1/s)e^{-st}[/itex] so that
    [tex]-0.0563\int_0^\infty te^{-st}dt= -0.0563(\left[-(1/s)te^{-st}\right]_0^\infty+ \frac{1}{s}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}dt= -\frac{0.0563}{s^2}[/tex]

6. Jul 22, 2012 #5
    Hello HallsofIvy,

Thanks for providing mathematical proof of it. This helped me to understand the maths behind it. It has been quite a while away from Laplace and I had forgot the basics. I got it now !! Thanks again !!

7. Jul 22, 2012 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Beauty Halls! :biggrin:

8. Jul 24, 2012 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If y and x are functions of time:
    y(t) = a - bx(t)

then the Laplace transform of that equation is
    Y(s) = a/s - bX(s).

It seems that y is rotational speed and x is applied torque.

I must confess I don't follow Halls and not Wolfram either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook