Laplace Transform unit step function

In summary, the given conversation discusses the use of shifting rules and transforms for solving Laplace transforms. The problem at hand is to find the Laplace transform of the function g(t) = (t+1)us(t) - (t-1)us(t-1) - 2us(t-1) - (t - 2)us(t-2) + (t-3)us(t - 3) + us(t-3). Using the shifting property for f(t - T) ↔ F(s), the solution is obtained by only taking the Laplace transform of t. However, it is important to be careful when applying the shifting rules, as the first solution provided contained some errors.
JavierOlivares

Homework Statement

g(t) = (t+1)us(t) - (t-1)us(t-1) - 2us(t-1) - (t - 2)us(t-2) + (t-3)us)(t - 3) + us(t-3)

Homework Equations

unit step function us(t-3) is same as u3 (t)
Shift in time:

L[f(t - T)us(t-T)] = e-TsF(s)
us(t) ↔ 1/s
t ⇔ 1/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/s2 + 1/s - e-s/s2 + e-s/s - 2e-s/s - e-2s/s2 + 2e-2s/s + e-3s/s2 - 3e-3s/s + e-3s/s1/s(1 - e-s +2e-2s - 2e-3s) + 1/ s2(1 - e-s - e-2s + e-3s)My professor gave us a different answer online. It seems correct online. Any advice would be great thank you.

Attachments

• function.PNG
    function.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
JavierOlivares said:

Homework Statement

g(t) = (t+1)us(t) - (t-1)us(t-1) - 2us(t-1) - (t - 2)us(t-2) + (t-3)us)(t - 3) + us(t-3)

Homework Equations

unit step function us(t-3) is same as u3 (t)
Shift in time:

L[f(t - T)us(t-T)] = e-TsF(s)
us(t) ↔ 1/s
t ⇔ 1/s2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/s2 + 1/s - e-s/s2 + e-s/s - 2e-s/s - e-2s/s2 + 2e-2s/s + e-3s/s2 - 3e-3s/s + e-3s/s1/s(1 - e-s +2e-2s - 2e-3s) + 1/ s2(1 - e-s - e-2s + e-3s)My professor gave us a different answer online. It seems correct online. Any advice would be great thank you.

I get an answer different from yours, but I don't know if it is the same as your professor's answer, since you do not tell us what that is.

I just did what I usually do for such problems, which is to avoid using all the shifting rules, etc., and just do the integral ##\int_0^{\infty} e^{-st} f(t) \, dt## directly. First, though, we need to figure out ##f(t)## in a more usable (piecewise) form. For example, between ##t = 0## and ##t = 1## only the first term is nonzero, so ##f(t) = t+1## in that interval. Between ##t = 1## and ##t = 2## the second and third terms also appear, resulting in ##f(t) = t+1 -(t-1) - 2 = 0## in ##(1,2)##. Keep going like that until you have a complete description of ##f(t)## on ##(0,\infty)##, then integrate. Of course, since you will have a piecewise description of ##f(t)## you will need to split up the integral into several pieces. And, of course, you need to know integrals such as ##\int_a^b e^{-st} \, dt## and ##\int_a^b t e^{-st} \, dt##.

Last edited:
Attached

Attachments

• Laplace.PNG
    Laplace.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 598
  • Laplace.PNG
    Laplace.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 590
  • Laplace.PNG
    Laplace.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 484
  • Laplace.PNG
    Laplace.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 416
Our professor wanted us to do it with shifting rules and easy transforms for exams since integrating would take too long for more tedious problems. Sorry I should've mentioned that earlier. Thanks for the reply.

JavierOlivares said:
Our professor wanted us to do it with shifting rules and easy transforms for exams since integrating would take too long for more tedious problems. Sorry I should've mentioned that earlier. Thanks for the reply.

Your solution is OK now.

Shifting, etc., works well too, but you need to be careful: your first solution contained some fatal errors. For example, you apparently said that
[tex] - (t - 2)\, u(t-2) \rightarrow - e^{-2s}/s^2 + 2e^{-2s}/s \; \Longleftarrow \:\text{false!} [/tex]
The shifting rule gives
[tex] - (t - 2) \, u(t-2) \rightarrow - e^{-2s}/s^2 [/tex]
You would only get the extra ##2e^{-2s}/s## term if you had started with ##-(t-4)\,u(t-2)##.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I think that's where I keep messing up. The last post was my professors answer and yeah I got the right answer this time by following what you said.
So I also get for : -2*us(t - 1) ↔ -2*e-2s/s

I think that's what you mean right? The shifting property for f(t - T) ↔ F(s) means that I'm only taking the Laplace of t? That's what you did in your response.

JavierOlivares said:
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I think that's where I keep messing up. The last post was my professors answer and yeah I got the right answer this time by following what you said.
So I also get for : -2*us(t - 1) ↔ -2*e-2s/s

I think that's what you mean right? The shifting property for f(t - T) ↔ F(s) means that I'm only taking the Laplace of t? That's what you did in your response.

I don't understand your question. I stated exactly what I meant, so I don't know how I can re-word it.

I guess I would have thought -(t - 1)*us(t - 1) would be the same as -t* us(t - 1) + 1*us(t - 1). I factored out -(t - 1). My question is why can't I just do that?

I'll make up a different example to make sure I understand it. Let's say I had:
(3t - 1)*us(t - 1) So I got to have (3t - 1) be the same as (t - 1) for this property to work? If yes then:

3*(t - 1/3)*us(t - 1) = 3 * (t - 1 + 2/3)*us(t - 1)

***I made the function this (t - 1 + 2/3) so it equals (t-1).***

So f(t) = t + 2/3 would be the same as:

3*[(t - 1)*us(t - 1) + 2/3*us(t - 1)]
Taking Laplace I get:

3*e-s/s2 + e-s/s.

Hopefully I made this clear. So I asked two questions why can't I do what I did before and given my example is my logic correct?

JavierOlivares said:
I guess I would have thought -(t - 1)*us(t - 1) would be the same as -t* us(t - 1) + 1*us(t - 1). I factored out -(t - 1). My question is why can't I just do that?

(3t - 1)*us(t - 1) So I got to have (3t - 1) be the same as (t - 1) for this property to work? If yes then:

Taking Laplace I get:

3*e-s/s2 + e-s/s.

Hopefully I made this clear. So I asked two questions why can't I do what I did before and given my example is my logic correct?

JavierOlivares said:

Taking Laplace I get:

3*e-s/s2 + e-s/s.

JavierOlivares said:

Taking Laplace I get:

3*e-s/s2 + e-s/s.

If ##f(t) = t \, u(t)## then ##f(t-a) = (t-a) \, u(t-a)##, so shifting applies directly to give the LT as ##e^{-as}/s^2##, with almost no work. If you write ##(t-a)\,u(t-a)## as ##t \, u(t-a) - a \, u(t-a)##, you have destroyed the shifting representation. You could write ##t \, u(t-a)## as ##f_1(t-a)##, where ##f_1(t) = (t+a) \, u(t)##, but what would be the point of that?

In your second example,
[tex] (3t-1) \, u(t-1) = [3(t-1) + 2] \, u(t-1) = f_1(t-1) + f_0(t-1), [/tex]
where ##f_0(t) = 2 u(t)## and ##f_1(t) = 3 t\, u(t)##. So we can write the LT immediately as
[tex] L(s) = \frac{3}{s^2} e^{-s} + \frac{2}{s} e^{-s} [/tex]
Somehow you lost the factor '2' in the last term. Look carefully at what you did and you ought to be able to spot the error.

Whatever you do, try to stop "overthinking" the problem because it really is very simple: wherever you see ##h(t-a) u(t-a)##, its LT will be ##e^{-as} {\cal H}(s)##, where ##{\cal H}(s)## is the LT of ##h(t)##. So, ##(3t-1) u(t-1) = h(t-1) u(t-1)##, where ##h(t) = 3t + 2##.

Thanks for all the help. It makes a lot more sense now.

What is a Laplace Transform unit step function?

A Laplace Transform unit step function is a mathematical function used to describe the response of a dynamical system to an input signal. It is defined as the integral of the input signal from negative infinity to the current time t, and is commonly denoted by u(t).

What is the Laplace Transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace Transform of a unit step function is 1/s, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace domain. This can be derived from the definition of the Laplace Transform and the fact that the unit step function is equal to 1 for t ≥ 0 and 0 for t < 0.

What is the significance of the Laplace Transform unit step function in control systems?

The Laplace Transform unit step function is commonly used in control systems to analyze the response of the system to an input signal. It allows for the representation of a system's behavior in the Laplace domain, which simplifies the analysis and design of control systems.

How is the Laplace Transform unit step function related to the Heaviside step function?

The Laplace Transform unit step function is the continuous version of the Heaviside step function, which is a discrete function. The two functions are equivalent, with the only difference being that the Heaviside step function is defined for discrete time while the Laplace Transform unit step function is defined for continuous time.

What are some real-life applications of the Laplace Transform unit step function?

The Laplace Transform unit step function is used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. Some examples of its applications include analyzing the response of electrical circuits, modeling the spread of diseases, and predicting the behavior of financial markets.