Laplace Transform Within a Domain

In summary, to find the Laplace transform of a function multiplied by the unit step function shifted by a constant, you can use the formula L(f(t)u(t-T)) = e^{-Ts}L(f(t+T)).
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transform of

f(t) = t [itex]\forall[/itex] 0≤t≤T, 0 otherwise

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I write the function as

[itex]tu(t)-t*u(t-T)[/itex]

That is turn on the function [itex]t[/itex] at [itex]t=0[/itex] and turn the function [itex]t[/itex] off at [itex]t=T[/itex]. It seems to be right to me.

But now I struggle with trying to take the Laplace transform of this. I know that [itex]L(u(t)) = \frac{1}{s}[/itex]. I know that [itex]L(f(t-T)) = e^{-sT}F(s)[/itex]. So I know that [itex]L(u(t-T)) = e^{-sT}\frac{1}{s}[/itex], but I'm not sure how to evaluate [itex]L(t*u(t-T))[/itex] because of the extra [itex]t[/itex] term, hence I'm stuck.

Thanks for any help.

I seem to be confused because [itex]F(s) = ∫_{0^{-}}^{∞}f(t)e^{-st}dt[/itex]. So I don't see how you can take the Laplace transform over a domain other than over [itex]0^{-}≤t≤∞[/itex], which this question seems to be asking me to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a problem of the form ##\mathcal L(f(t)u(t-T))##.$$
\mathcal L(f(t)u(t-T))=\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t)u(t-T)~dt =\int_T^\infty e^{-st}f(t)\cdot 1~dt$$Now make the substitution ##u = t - T##:$$
=\int_0^\infty e^{-s(u+T)}f(u+T)~du=e^{-Ts}\int_0^\infty e^{-su}f(u+T)~du
=e^{-Ts}\mathcal Lf(t+T)$$So for your problem$$
\mathcal L(tu(t-T)) = e^{-Ts}\mathcal L(t+T) =~?$$

So this problem becomes

[itex]L(t*u(t) - t*u(t-T)) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - L(t*u(t-T)) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-1}}e^{-st}t*u(t-T)dt = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}tdt[/itex]

Now I do [itex]u[/itex] substitution to evaluate the integral. [itex]u(t) =t, \frac{du}{dt} = 1[/itex]. [itex]\int dv = \int e^{-st}dt = -\frac{e^{-st}}{s}[/itex]

Now I continue solving

[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}tdt = \frac{1}{s^{2}} -(-\frac{te^{-st}}{s} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}dt) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} + \frac{te^{-st}}{s} - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}[/itex]

The solutions has
[itex]F(s) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \frac{1}{s^{2}}e^{-sT} - \frac{T}{s}e^{-sT}[/itex]. So I must be doing something but I don't see what.

LCKurtz said:
I gave you a proof that$$
\mathcal L(f(t)u(t-T))=e^{-Ts}\mathcal Lf(t+T)$$

GreenPrint said:
So this problem becomes

[itex]L(t*u(t) - t*u(t-T)) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - L(t*u(t-T)) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-1}}e^{-st}t*u(t-T)dt = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}tdt[/itex]

Now I do [itex]u[/itex] substitution to evaluate the integral. [itex]u(t) =t, \frac{du}{dt} = 1[/itex]. [itex]\int dv = \int e^{-st}dt = -\frac{e^{-st}}{s}[/itex]

Now I continue solving

[itex]\frac{1}{s^{2}} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}tdt = \frac{1}{s^{2}} -(-\frac{te^{-st}}{s} - \int^{∞}_{0^{-}}e^{-st}dt) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} + \frac{te^{-st}}{s} - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}[/itex]

The solutions has
[itex]F(s) = \frac{1}{s^{2}} - \frac{1}{s^{2}}e^{-sT} - \frac{T}{s}e^{-sT}[/itex]. So I must be doing something but I don't see what.

You don't have to work out any integrals and re-do all the work. Just use the formula I gave you above. All you have to do is use that formula with ##f(t)=t##.

Thanks, I was able to figure it out

1. What is the Laplace Transform within a domain?

The Laplace Transform within a domain is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze complex systems.

2. How does the Laplace Transform within a domain work?

The Laplace Transform within a domain works by integrating a function with respect to time, multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st). The resulting function in the frequency domain is then multiplied by the complex variable s and integrated with respect to s. This process is known as the inverse Laplace Transform.

3. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform within a domain?

The Laplace Transform within a domain allows for easier analysis of complex systems and differential equations. It also allows for the use of algebraic methods to solve problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional calculus methods.

4. What are the limitations of the Laplace Transform within a domain?

The Laplace Transform within a domain can only be used for functions that are defined for all values of time. It also assumes that the system being analyzed is linear and time-invariant, meaning that the system's behavior does not change over time.

5. How is the Laplace Transform within a domain used in real-world applications?

The Laplace Transform within a domain is used in a variety of real-world applications, including electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. It is also used in physics to analyze systems such as oscillators and circuits. Additionally, it is used in economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems.