Laplace transform of the multiplication of two functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Debdut
Messages
18
Reaction score
2
I have two functions ##\phi(t)=\cos(\omega t)## and ##f(t)=u(t)−u(t−k)## with ##f(t)=f(t+T)##, ##u(t)## is the unit step function.
The problem is to find Laplace transform of ##\phi(t) \cdot f(t)##.

I have tried convolution in frequency domain, but unable to solve it because of gamma functions. Also a doubt is arising about the limits of the convolution. Laplace transform of multiplication of simple functions and convolution of their individual transforms are not matching when taking limits like ##0 \rightarrow s## or ##s \rightarrow \infty## or ##0 \rightarrow \infty##.

I have also thought about integration by parts of ##\phi(t)f(t)e^{−st}## as its limits are known: ##0 \rightarrow \infty##. But value of a periodic function at infinity is undefined.

I am stuck, please help...

<Moderator's note: Member has been warned not to remove template.>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Debdut said:
I have two functions ##\phi(t)=\cos(\omega t)## and ##f(t)=u(t)−u(t−k)## with ##f(t)=f(t+T)##, ##u(t)## is the unit step function.
The problem is to find Laplace transform of ##\phi(t) \cdot f(t)##.

I have tried convolution in frequency domain, but unable to solve it because of gamma functions. Also a doubt is arising about the limits of the convolution. Laplace transform of multiplication of simple functions and convolution of their individual transforms are not matching when taking limits like ##0 \rightarrow s## or ##s \rightarrow \infty## or ##0 \rightarrow \infty##.

I have also thought about integration by parts of ##\phi(t)f(t)e^{−st}## as its limits are known: ##0 \rightarrow \infty##. But value of a periodic function at infinity is undefined.

I am stuck, please help...

<Moderator's note: Member has been warned not to remove template.>

Assuming that ##T > k## the problem is do-able. Here is one way to do it.

Your transform has the form
$$ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \int_0^k e^{-s(t+nT)} \cos(wt+nT)) \, dt $$
Expand the ##\cos(wt +n w T)## and then do the integrations.
 
Last edited:
Debdut said:
Thank you very much sir.
I must say that I don't fully understand the above expression. The only formulae that I have got are from this site:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Laplace_Table.pdf
Could you please offer some explanation or redirect me to any reference where I can learn it more?

Just apply the definition of the Laplace transform: ##\int_0^{\infty} e^{-st} F(t) \, dt##. Now use the fact that ##F(t)## is the product of a periodic (period ##T##) "rectangular" function of width ##k## and ##\cos(wt)##. Express the integrals over ##T < t < 2T, 2T < t < 3T, \ldots## as integrals over ##0 < t < T## with shifted values of ##t##.

Reading about Laplace transforms won't help much; just go back to the start and apply the definition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Debdut