Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long copper pipe, with it's axis on the z axis, is cut in half and the two halves are insulated. One half is held at 0V, the other at 9V. Find the potential everywhere in space.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla^2V=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright. This is a laplace's equation problem in two dimensions, since the potential should be independent of z because the pipe is infinite. Using separation of variables( [tex]V=R\Phi[/tex]) the solution to the two dimensional Laplace's EQ in cylindrical coordinates is:

[tex]R(r)=ar^k+br^-k[/tex]

[tex]\Phi(\phi)=A\sin(k\phi) + B\cos(k\phi)[/tex]

w/ [tex]V=R(r)\Phi(\phi)[/tex]

I am getting confused when I try to apply boundary conditions to this problem. Here is what I think the boundary conditions should be:

1) V should go to zero as r goes to infinity. (I don't think this is right, since the pipe is infinite, but I am not sure.)

2)V=0 for phi between 0 and pi, r=radius of pipe

3)V=9 for phi between 0 and 2pi, r=radius of pipe.

I can't figure out how to actually use these to eliminate any of the constants. Any help and hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    First of all you have to break the problem into two regions [itex]V_{in}[/itex] inside the pipe and [itex]V_{out}[/itex] outside the pipe. In order for [itex]V[/itex] to be finite to each region you can eleminate [itex]\alpha[/itex] or [itex]\beta[/itex] in eah region.
    The potential [itex]V[/itex] must be periodical for [itex]\phi[/itex] thus you know [itex]k[/itex].
    Lastly you have to use the superposition principle and Fourier analysis for the remaining constants.

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. It seems the part screwing me up is finding k. The potential is periodic in Phi, but it seems more like a step function. I guess I'm saying that I don't understand how can represent that potential as a sine or cosine term, no matter what k happens to be.

Could you elaborate on that part of the problem?

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Since the potential must be periodic in [itex]\phi[/itex] you must have [itex]k\in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Thus the solution is

[tex]V_{in}(r,\phi)=\frac{A_0}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty r^n\left(A_n\,\cos(n\,\phi)+B_n\,\sin(n\,\phi)\right)[/tex]

The boundrary conditions read

[tex]u(R,\phi)=\left\{\begin{matrix} 0 & 0<\phi<\pi\cr 9 & \pi<\phi<2\,\pi \end{matrix}[/tex]

The constants [itex]A_n,\,B_n[/itex] can be found by Fourier analysis. Can you do that?

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I am fine with Fourier analysis. The boundary condition were just confusing the heck out of me. I don't quite no why either. I guess I just did not recognize that I had to use fourier anaylsis. Thank you! I think I got it now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook