Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip

• Thread starter Hio
  • Start date
In summary, to solve Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip, you will need to use separation of variables and take a linear combination of solutions of the form X(x)Y(y). You will then need to determine the separation constant and choose coefficients that satisfy the boundary condition u(0,y) = f(y). This will result in a Fourier sine series for f(y) and you can use the coefficients from this series to solve for the final solution.
Hio
Hello everyone,
can anyone help me with solving Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip.
Is there specific steps to follow. I'm going to give an example and I will be really grateful
if someone explains to me.

Solve Laplace’s equation ∇2u = 0 inside a semi-infinite strip (0 < x < ∞, 0 < y < H) with the following boundary condi- tions:
u(x,0) = 0, u(x,H) = 0, u(0,y) = f(y).

I miss the classes and I feel I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hio said:
Hello everyone,
can anyone help me with solving Laplace’s equation inside a semi-infinite strip.
Is there specific steps to follow. I'm going to give an example and I will be really grateful
if someone explains to me.

Solve Laplace’s equation ∇2u = 0 inside a semi-infinite strip (0 < x < ∞, 0 < y < H) with the following boundary condi- tions:
u(x,0) = 0, u(x,H) = 0, u(0,y) = f(y).

I miss the classes and I feel I'm lost.

You will want to solve this using separation of variables. The idea is to take a linear combination of solutions of Laplace's equation of the form [itex]X(x)Y(y)[/itex]. Then
[tex]
\nabla^2 (XY) = X''(x)Y(y) + X(x)Y''(y) = 0
[/tex]
so that
[tex]
\frac{X''}{X} + \frac{Y''}{Y} = 0.
[/tex]
The first term on the left is a function only of x and the second a function only of y. The only way this equation can hold for all x and y is if each term is constant. Hence
[tex]X'' = CX \\
Y'' = -CY
[/tex]
for some real constant [itex]C[/itex] (known as a separation constant). The values of [itex]C[/itex] we need to take depend on the boundary conditions, which are:
[tex]
X(0) = 1,\qquad \lim_{x \to \infty} X(x) = 0 \\
Y(0) = Y(h) = 0
[/tex]
with [itex]Y(y)[/itex] not identically zero (actually all that's required is [itex]X(0) \neq 0[/itex], but it is convenient to specify [itex]X(0) = 1[/itex]).

The easiest boundary condition to satisfy is that [itex]X(x) \to 0[/itex] as [itex]x \to \infty[/itex]. We must have [itex]X(x) = e^{-kx}[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. This means that [itex]C = k^2[/itex] so that
[tex]
Y'' = -k^2 Y
[/tex]
subject to [itex]Y(0) = Y(h) = 0[/itex] but with [itex]Y(y)[/itex] not identically zero. That can be done if we take [itex]k = (n\pi)/h[/itex] for some positive integer [itex]n[/itex] with
[tex]
Y(y) = B\sin \left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
where the constant [itex]B[/itex] cannot be determined from the boundary conditions on [itex]Y[/itex]. But given the next stage of the solution we may as well take [itex]B= 1[/itex].

Putting this together, we have, for each positive integer [itex]n[/itex], an eigenfunction
[tex]
X_n(x) Y_n(y) = \exp\left(-\frac{n\pi x}{h}\right) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
and the natural thing to do is to take a linear combination of these,
[tex]
u(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \exp\left(-\frac{n\pi x}{h}\right) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right),[/tex]
and choose the coefficients [itex]a_n[/itex] to satisfy the boundary condition [itex]u(0,y) = f(y)[/itex]. We then have
[tex]f(y) = u(0,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)
[/tex]
which is the fourier sine series for [itex]f(y)[/itex] on the interval [itex]0 \leq y \leq h[/itex]. Thus
[tex]
a_n = \frac{2}{h} \int_0^h f(y) \sin\left(\frac{n\pi y}{h}\right)\,\mathrm{d}y.[/tex]

1. What is Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip?

Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip refers to a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field within a strip that extends infinitely in one direction and is bounded by a finite boundary in the other direction. This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

2. How is Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip solved?

Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip is typically solved using separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a series of terms that satisfy the boundary conditions of the problem. This method involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts that can be solved individually and then combining them to find the overall solution.

3. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip typically include the value of the scalar field at the finite boundary of the strip, as well as any specified boundary conditions along the infinite boundary. These boundary conditions are necessary to uniquely define the solution to the equation.

4. What physical systems can be modeled using Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip?

Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip can be used to model a wide range of physical systems, including heat conduction, electrostatics, fluid flow, and diffusion. It is particularly useful for problems involving a one-dimensional domain with a finite boundary and an infinite boundary.

5. What are the limitations of Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip?

While Laplace's equation inside a semi-infinite strip is a powerful tool for solving certain physical problems, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the system being modeled is in equilibrium and does not account for time-dependent behavior. It also assumes that the boundary conditions are fixed and do not change over time.