Why Does the Laplacian of 1/Vector r Equal Zero?

In summary, the problem is from the book Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Tai L. Chow and involves showing that the Laplacian of ##1/|\vec{r}|## is equal to 0, except at ##r = 0##. There may be some misprints in the problem, specifically in part (c).
NewtonApple

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\nabla^{2}\left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right)=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\nabla=\hat{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\hat{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+\hat{k}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}[/itex]

and [itex]\overrightarrow{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}, \mid r\mid=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/itex],

[itex]\hat{r}=\hat{i}+\hat{j}+\hat{k}[/itex]

First calculate [itex]\nabla\left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right)=\nabla\left(\frac{1}{\mid r\mid\hat{r}}\right)=\nabla\left(\frac{1}{\mid r\mid}\hat{r}\right)=\left[\hat{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\hat{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+\hat{k}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\right]\left[\frac{\hat{i}+\hat{j}+\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}}\right][/itex]

[itex] = \hat{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}}+\hat{j}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}}+\hat{k}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\left(x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{\frac{-1}{2}} [/itex]

Am I doing it the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{1}{\vec{r}}## doesn't make sense because it involves dividing by a vector.

Are you sure you aren't supposed to take the Laplacian of ##\frac{1}{|\vec{r}|}## instead?

TSny said:
##\frac{1}{\vec{r}}## doesn't make sense because it involves dividing by a vector.

Are you sure you aren't supposed to take the Laplacian of ##\frac{1}{|\vec{r}|}## instead?
It looks like a vector
image024.gif

The problem is from Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Tai L. Chow.

You're right, it does look like ##1/\vec{r}##. I think it must be a misprint. It does turn out that ##\nabla^2(1/r)=0## (except at ##r = 0##).

So, I'm thinking that's what was meant.

Part (c) also seems to have some misprints, unless the author is purposely trying to test whether you can tell if an expression is meaningless.

Last edited:

Yes, you are on the right track. To show that the Laplacian of a vector is equal to zero, you need to take the divergence of the gradient of the vector. In this case, the vector is \frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}, so the Laplacian would be \nabla^2\left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right) = \nabla \cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right). Using the product rule and applying the chain rule, you correctly showed that the gradient of \frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}} is \nabla\left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right)=\hat{r}\left(\frac{-1}{\mid r\mid^{2}}\right). Taking the divergence of this, you get

\nabla \cdot \nabla \left(\frac{1}{\overrightarrow{r}}\right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\hat{r}\left(\frac{-1}{\mid r\mid^{2}}\right)\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left(\hat{r}\left(\frac{-1}{\mid r\mid^{2}}\right)\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left(\hat{r}\left(\frac{-1}{\mid r\mid^{2}}\right)\right)

= \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{-x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} \left(\frac{-y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\right) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left(\frac{-z}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}}\right)

= \frac{-x(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)} + \frac{-y(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{-3/2}}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)} + \frac{-z

1. What is the Laplacian of a Vector?

The Laplacian of a vector is a mathematical operator that is used to measure the rate of change of a vector field. It is also known as the divergence of the gradient and is represented by the symbol ∇².

2. How is the Laplacian of a Vector calculated?

The Laplacian of a vector is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of a vector and the divergence of that vector. In simpler terms, it is the sum of the second derivatives of the vector's components.

3. What is the significance of the Laplacian of a Vector in science?

The Laplacian of a vector is an important tool in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to study fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena where the rate of change is a crucial factor.

4. How is the Laplacian of a Vector used in image processing?

In image processing, the Laplacian of a vector is used for edge detection. By calculating the Laplacian of an image, the areas with high rates of change, or edges, can be identified and enhanced.

5. Can the Laplacian of a Vector be applied to non-spatial data?

Yes, the Laplacian of a vector can be applied to non-spatial data, such as time series or financial data. It can help identify patterns and trends in the data by measuring the rate of change over time.