Laplacian of product in Rytov approximation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
h_cet
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi;

I am trying to understand the rytov approximation... and when I was studying that, I could not understand a manipilation...

ΔeØ + k2eØ = 0

▼[▼ØeØ] + k2eØ = 0

▼2ØeØ + (▼Ø)2eØ+k2eØ = 0

I can not understand these manipilations... for a long time, I have searched the properties of laplecian but I could not find any propertiy in connection with laplecian...

So, please explain how this property is working...

thanks already for your helps...

be well...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's an application of the rule

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\phi \mathbf{F}) = \nabla\phi \cdot \mathbf{F} + \phi \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F}[/tex],

where phi is a scalar function and F is a vector. For your case, the scalar function is [itex]\exp[\Theta][/itex] and the vector is [itex]\nabla \Theta[/itex].

This comes from treating the laplacian as div grad: grad acts on exp(Theta) to give (grad Theta) exp[Theta] by the chain rule, and then the div acts on (grad Theta) exp[Theta].