Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large heatsinks in refrigerator?

1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    I'm trying to keep my refrigerator cold when I have the door open and have read about putting water jugs in the back to help stabilize the temperature when the door is left ajar. Instead of water, would large aluminum heatsinks (with fins) work just as well?

Thanks

Don

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Compare the heat capacities.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    Water has a heat capacity 4 times that of aluminum, but If I can position the heat sinks in the front of the refrigerator (closer to the incoming warm air), will that be just as effective as water jugs in the back?

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wasn't talking about specific heats. The point was to compare volume of non-useable space in the fridge. Cold air is going to be falling from the fridge quite rapidly and being replaced by warm air. The more cold "mass" present in the space, the quicker the recovery when you close the door. As far as cooling the incoming air on the way in, why worry about it?

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't really understand what you are trying to do. A jug of water sitting behind your fridge doesn't really do anything except maybe block airflow. And a heatsink -- is it connected to anything? And leaving the fridge open -- are you trying to destroy it while providing cumbersome heating to the room it is in?

This really makes no sense.

7. Dec 27, 2014 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Sitting in the back of the fridge, not behind it.
    Having a full fridge reduces the power usage. When the fridge is opened the volume of cooled air escaping is much less than if the fridge was empty.
    I put water bottles in as they're useful, unlike Al blocks. Although, I bet I'd get more power savings from thinking about what I'd like to eat/drink before staring into the fridge blankly..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook