Large numbers and standard deviation for a uniform distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a large number of raindrops falling onto a roof and being distributed into segments. The average number of raindrops in each segment is calculated and the standard deviation is found to be equal to the square root of the mean. The conversation also touches on the definition of standard deviation and its relationship to variance in both discrete and continuous distributions. The possibility of this being a multinomial distribution is mentioned and a recommendation to read the Wikipedia entry is given.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In doing a problem, I considered N (a large number, in the range 100,000-1,000,000) raindrops, falling into A (fixed at 100) segments on a roof, distributed using a random number generator I programmed. In considering the number of raindrops that fell into a given segment, the average would be [tex]\mu=\frac{N}{A}[/tex]. For a fixed N, I calculated the standard deviation [tex]\sigma[/tex]. I then plotted the standard deviation against the average, and found a nearly perfect relationship [tex]\sigma = \sqrt{\mu}[/tex]. Is this relationship correct? Can anyone tell me why it would be so, or give me a starting point to show it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This seems to be a case of a multinomial distribution: you might try reading the wikipedia entry.

Ah thank you.

[tex]\sigma_i^2 = Np_iq_i = \sigma^2[/tex]

[tex]\sigma^2\simeq Np[/tex]

[tex]\sigma^2 = N\frac{1}{A}=\mu[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{{\mu}[/tex]

I always thought that the Standard deviation was defined to be the square root of the variance. I know this to be true for discrete distributions, though I guess its a different case for continuous ones.

Gib Z said:
I always thought that the Standard deviation was defined to be the square root of the variance. I know this to be true for discrete distributions, though I guess its a different case for continuous ones.

No, for either discrete or continuous distributions, the standard deviation is the square root of the variance. What nicksauce showed above was that, in this case, the variance is equal to the mean.

No I know that the Standard deviation IS the square root of the variance, but when I learned about discrete distributions the standard deviation was DEFINED to be the square root of the variance. I "guessed" it was a different matter for continuous distributions because otherwise the other people in this thread just wasted a lot of time lol.

1. What is a uniform distribution?

A uniform distribution is a probability distribution in which all possible outcomes are equally likely to occur. This means that the probability of a particular outcome is the same as any other outcome in the distribution.

2. How are large numbers and standard deviation related in a uniform distribution?

In a uniform distribution, as the number of observations (or data points) increases, the standard deviation also increases. This is because with a larger sample size, there is a greater range of possible outcomes and therefore a larger spread of data points.

3. Can you give an example of a uniform distribution?

A classic example of a uniform distribution is rolling a fair die. Each number on the die (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) has an equal chance of being rolled, making it a uniform distribution.

4. How is the standard deviation calculated for a uniform distribution?

The standard deviation for a uniform distribution can be calculated using the formula: standard deviation = (b - a) / √12, where 'a' is the minimum value in the distribution and 'b' is the maximum value.

5. Why is understanding large numbers and standard deviation important in science?

Large numbers and standard deviation are important in science because they help us make sense of and analyze large sets of data. By understanding the spread of data points and the likelihood of certain outcomes, we can draw meaningful conclusions and make accurate predictions based on evidence.