1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Large optical image rotation for project

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1

pex

Hi, fellow physics friends!

I'm doing a small interior decoration project in which I need optical image rotation as a component. I know that this can be done (see e.g. http://www.optics.arizona.edu/optomech/papers/swift%201972.pdf [Broken] for a review paper). I've also seen Half-Penta Prisms sold online that do this.
    However, a 25mm HPP costs $135. I want one which is about 1 meter in size, but on the other hand I have very low requirements on quality (a bit of optical disturbance is just positive) and the image need not be rotated 45 degrees (less or more is fine).

Question: is it realistic to attempt to construct one myself? How would I go about to do this? I do have access to a small engineering lab at my local university. What material would you recommend?

Note: The project is not to construct a death star with a death ray with which I can destroy planets insolent enough to defy my imperial will.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2
    thsi is some codes about image rotate, not sure if it is what you are asking for.
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Drawing.Printing
    Imports RasterEdge.Imaging
    Imports RasterEdge.Imaging.Processing

Dim Image As New RasterEdgeImaging()

Public Sub RotateImage()
    If True Then
    Dim LoadImage As New Bitmap("C:\\1.bmp")
    Dim rotate As Graphics = Graphics.FromImage(LoadImage)
    rotate.TranslateTransform(CType(bmp.Width, Single) / 2, CType(bmp.Height, Single) / 2)
    rotate.RotateTransform(rotationAngle)
    rotate.TranslateTransform(-CType(bmp.Width, Single) / 2, -CType(bmp.Height, Single) / 2)
    rotate.InterpolationMode = InterpolationMode.HighQualityBicubic
    rotate.DrawImage(img, New Point(0, 0))
    rotate.Dispose()
    Return LoadImage()
    End If
    End Sub

4. Apr 28, 2013 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Well, nuts! I was all-in and even would have sponsored you until you dropped that little nugget of bad news... :tongue:

By the bye, your link goes to "Page Not Found".

5. Apr 28, 2013 #4
    the link dint work for me,

im not sure if this is what you mean but...

if your trying to displace and/or re-orient a projected image then
    i think you could make an acryllic prisim with a seconday trapizoidal prizim inside
    trial and error would tell you how to set it up right but it should redirect, reorient and even distort the image if wanted

im not sure what actual material and/or shape a prizim might have to be though

for some reason i want to believe it would work in a similar maner as the mirrors of a parascope
    whereas the edge/sides would be potential mirrors

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook