Laser to determine effect of sucrose concentration on refractive index

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
barca12345
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I want to conduct an experiment to investigate the effect of sucrose concentration on refractive index using a laser pointer however I would like to complicate this experiment as this is just a simple how x affects y experiment.

It may also seem to straight forward as obviously higher concentration would have a higher refractive index and I can only apply snell's law on this. I am looking forward to achieving an actual mathematical relationship between the two variables.

Is there anyway I can expand on this idea? Perhaps to find an optimum property? Or investigate more independent variables?

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The change in the refraction angle is small and probably hard to measure. What would be easier would be to determine the rotation of the polarisation due to the optical activity of sucrose.
 
I'm a little confused. How do I vary the optical activity of sucrose?