Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LASERs: Why is population inversion required for amplification?

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a module on quantum optics and lasers. Most of the texts and online source I have read simply state that 'population inversion is essential for amplification in laser operation'.

My question is, why? Amplification/Gain is essentially the result of stimulated emission.
    Can't stimulated emission occur without population inversion?

Wouldn't a population of atoms in a higher state that is equal to or less than 50% (but still sufficient) be enough to have a high enough chance of stimulated emission if an adequate photon comes along?
    Theoretically, couldn't one atom in a higher state be enough to produce stimulated emission if the correct photon interacts with that atom?

I feel I might not be understanding something about the rate of absorption (for ground state atoms to reach a meta-stable higher energy level) and the rate of spontaneous decay back to ground state.

Could someone please clarify this?
    Thanks for your time.

AB

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2
    Without population inversion, you have more absorption than stimulated emission, so your gain is less than one.

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's enough. But how would you bring this atom to the excited state if not by absorption?

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

Henryk

Gold Member

There are actually a number of ways to produce a population inversion. The first laser, ruby laser used optical pumping and three levels. The dopant in ruby was pumped to a highest level, which decayed to a second level creating an inversion between the second level and the ground level.
    He-Ne laser the energy comes from an electrical discharge which excites He atoms that transfer energy to Ne atoms creating inversion there.
    Diode laser use carrier injection in a p-n junction to create inversion between electrons in the conduction and valence band. There are also chemical lasers a a few others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook