Latex - graphs closer together

In summary: This will place the figure at the top of the next page, unless there is not enough room, in which case it will go to the bottom of the next page.
lavster
There was not enough room to fit my graphs in the text where they were supposed to go so latex put them in the next page. This meant that this page only has these two graphs and the text begins again on the page after that. There is a lot of space between (see attached). How do i make it take up less room and have text on that page too?

Thanks

Attachments

• demo.png
    demo.png
    6 KB · Views: 853
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thanks for your response.

However my graphs have to be this size. and they don't go side by side unless smaller. Its the vertical space inbetween them I don't want. so instead of having 6cm between them on the page i want only one cm. if tried eg \vspace{-50mm} but that doesn't shift it.

Thanks

It could be that the images themselves have a lot of whitespace and need to be cropped.

If you put the \includegraphics command inside of \fbox, i.e.

Code:
\fbox{\includegraphics[options]{filename}}

it will draw a box around the figures and let you see if this is the case. If so, you can crop the image files manually, or (if you like trial/error) within your editor with the trim option of the graphicx package (example numbers):

Code:
\includegraphics[trim = 10mm 80mm 20mm 5mm, clip, width=3cm]{filename}

trim = l b r t (left bottom right top)

the graphics size is fine, and the white box is too. i have know idea why this is happening! :(

Sounds to me like you'll have to compromise on the size a bit and just adjust the caption font size so it's still readable. Play around with the scale and try to find the threshold where it allows the text on the same page.

You could also attempt to change the margin of THAT particular page to fit your figures.

By the way...why do you say your pictures HAVE to be that size? A bit smaller may not hurt and, for as long as you have imported your figures in pdf format, they should be nicely zoomable...remember, by now, most of us have pretty good monitors and will make the page pretty wide...so, at the end, the size of you picture does not matter that much.

ive got to give a hard copy... They have lots of rules incl fig size, margin size, font size etc etc :(

thanks ill have a play!

Well, the whole point of LaTeX is to meet publishing standards...if what they are asking you does not fit into the normal document, maybe they are not following publishing standards and all bets are off...you can go ahead and start modifying the page margin and all that stuff, as suggested before.

Did you try \vspace*{-50mm} ?

lavster said:
There was not enough room to fit my graphs in the text where they were supposed to go so latex put them in the next page.

When you say "latex put them on the next page", do you mean each graph is inside
Code:
\begin{figure} ... \end{figure}
and the figures didn't end up where you hoped they would?

If so, try tweaking the parameters that LaTeX uses to control the page layout. The defaults are fairly conservative and won't put just a "few" lines of text on a page that contains mostly figures.

See http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/bibliog/latex/floats.html, or google for more informatikon, now you know what the parameter names are.

You can use the float package with
Code:
\usepackage{float}
and then force figures to appear where you place them using
Code:
\begin{figure}[H]
    % figure stuff
\end{figure}

What is "Latex"?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of math and science. It is based on the TeX typesetting system and allows for precise control over the layout and formatting of documents.

How does Latex handle graphs?

Latex has built-in functionality for creating graphs and figures. It uses a combination of text commands and graphical elements to produce professional-looking and customizable graphs. These graphs can be included in documents such as research papers, presentations, and reports.

What does "closer together" mean in relation to Latex graphs?

"Closer together" refers to the spacing between elements on a graph, such as data points, axis labels, and tick marks. Latex allows the user to adjust this spacing to their desired level of precision, resulting in a more compact and visually appealing graph.

Can Latex graphs be exported to other file formats?

Yes, Latex graphs can be exported to various file formats, such as PDF, PNG, and EPS. This allows for easy sharing and integration with other documents and presentations.

Is Latex difficult to learn for graph creation?

The learning curve for using Latex for graph creation may be steeper compared to other software programs, but with some practice and familiarity with the language, it can be a powerful tool for creating professional-looking graphs. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with Latex graph creation.