Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX is black with squiggles on my computer

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    Please advise.

thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What browser are you using? IE6 has this problem.

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3
    Yes, it is IE 6; but it worked a few months ago when I last visited this forum.

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A possible alternative to try, not guarunteed, but worth trying:
    (It worked with Dial-up) - install an alternate browser, go on line with your normal browser, go to physicsforums, and then open your alternate browser and also go to physicsforums. This is something I tried a few years ago when our internet provider software did not permit certain features of physicsorums to be usable. The use of the alternative internet browser permitted what the normal software did not permit.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Referring to #4 post, upgrading to IE 8 may be better if this is possible.

7. Nov 14, 2009 #6
    Thank you I will try another browser for now. I'm afraid some thinkpad software might not work with IE8.

8. Nov 14, 2009 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Older browsers can't be supported forever. This issue has come up before. If you switch to a newer browser then Latex should show correctly.

9. Nov 14, 2009 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never had any kind of problem here since I joined. I've always had the latest version of firefox as my browser.

10. Nov 14, 2009 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Latex works with Firefox, but it doesn't work with IE6. Our LaTex here on the forum is thanks to a custom hack by chroot.

11. Nov 23, 2009 #10
    The Opera browser will also do. The older versions of the Opera browsers can even run on Windows 95.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook