Laurent expansions with only one factor in the denominator of the function

• Thread starter caramello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation was about the Laurent expansions for functions with one and multiple factors in the denominator. The speaker was confused about the domains for each case and how to find singularities for the second case. They also mentioned that the Laurent expansion about z=-1 for (z-1)/(z+1) is just its Taylor series.
caramello
Hi,

I know how to do the Laurent expansions for a function that has two or more factors in the denominator (for eg: 1/(z-1)(z-2) ). But what if that there is only 1 factor in the denominator, like (z-1)/(z+1)?

I know how to do the computations for both of the cases, however, the thing that I'm confused with is that of the domains of each case:

for the first case (the example): I know that the domains will be |z|<1, 1<|z|<2, and |z|>2

However, what's for the second case then? This is because when I try to find the singularities, it will result in |z|<-1 --> and this is not possible because absolute values won't be less than 0, i.e absolute values can't be negative.
So then will the domain be |z|<1? or |z|>1? because the computational part to find the expansions for |z|<1 will be different from |z|>1, am I right?

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Laurent expansion about what point? The Laurent expansion of (z-1)/(z+1) about any point other than z= -1 is just its Taylor series about that point. The Laurent series about z= -1 is trivial! (z-1)/(z+1)= (z+1- 2)/(z+1)= (z+1)/(z+1)- 2/(z+1)= 1- 2/(z+1). That is the Laurent series.

What is a Laurent expansion with only one factor in the denominator of the function?

A Laurent expansion is a way to represent a complex function as an infinite series of terms. When there is only one factor in the denominator of the function, it is called a simple Laurent expansion.

Why is it important to study Laurent expansions with only one factor in the denominator of the function?

These types of Laurent expansions are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of complex functions near singularities, or points where the function is not defined. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

What is the difference between a Laurent expansion with one factor in the denominator and a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a series of terms that represent a function near a specific point, while a Laurent expansion can represent a function near a point as well as near singularities. Additionally, Laurent expansions can include negative powers of the variable, while Taylor expansions only include positive powers.

How do you find the coefficients in a Laurent expansion with only one factor in the denominator?

The coefficients in a Laurent expansion can be found by using the formula for the residue of a complex function, which involves finding the derivative of the function at the singularity. This process can be simplified when there is only one factor in the denominator.

Are there any limitations to using Laurent expansions with only one factor in the denominator?

One limitation is that the function must have a singularity at the point where the expansion is centered. Additionally, the expansion may not be valid for all values of the variable, as it only represents the behavior of the function near the singularity.