Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laurent expansions with only one factor in the denominator of the function

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I know how to do the Laurent expansions for a function that has two or more factors in the denominator (for eg: 1/(z-1)(z-2) ). But what if that there is only 1 factor in the denominator, like (z-1)/(z+1)?

I know how to do the computations for both of the cases, however, the thing that I'm confused with is that of the domains of each case:

for the first case (the example): I know that the domains will be |z|<1, 1<|z|<2, and |z|>2

However, what's for the second case then? This is because when I try to find the singularities, it will result in |z|<-1 --> and this is not possible because absolute values won't be less than 0, i.e absolute values can't be negative.
    So then will the domain be |z|<1? or |z|>1? because the computational part to find the expansions for |z|<1 will be different from |z|>1, am I right?

Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Laurent expansion about what point? The Laurent expansion of (z-1)/(z+1) about any point other than z= -1 is just its Taylor series about that point. The Laurent series about z= -1 is trivial! (z-1)/(z+1)= (z+1- 2)/(z+1)= (z+1)/(z+1)- 2/(z+1)= 1- 2/(z+1). That is the Laurent series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook