Law of Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation is discussing an experiment on the Law of Conservation of Momentum, specifically the effect of collision time on force. The formula for force is mentioned as well as the understanding that decreasing collision time will increase force. However, there is doubt about the effect on momentum and whether the force will cause the initially moving ball to come to a stop or move backwards. The conversation also mentions the possibility of changing initial speed to increase force. The consensus is that changing collision time will affect force and momentum, but confirmation can only be made with a high-tech laboratory. The final question is whether the initially moving ball will always come to a halt in a collision.
ProPM
I am planning an experiment on the Law of Conservation of Momentum and the variable I wanted to investigate would be the effect of the collision time.

I am however, a bit in doubt:

Force = Change in Momentum / Time

I understand that if I decrease the time of impact I will increase the force. I am thinking the increase in the force would cause a greater acceleration, but isn't the change in momentum of the cars a fixed value?

So maybe, if the force increases as the time of the collision decreases the force the first, moving ball, experiences will cause it not only not to become stationary but move backwards?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you thinking of increasing force ... one way i can think is through increasing initial speed
And if you increase that ... final velocities will change and also change in momentum

I was thinking of changing the time of the collision, but since I am not very sure of the effect of that.

if you change the time of collision ... force will change accordingly so that momentum remains same ... You can confirm this if you have a Hi tech Lab :cool:

So, if, for example, I increase the time of the collision, therefore, decrease the force, the following would not happen: Ball A is moving, Ball B is not. Ball A hits ball B. Since the force is weaker Ball A would decrease its velocity (not come to a stop) and balls B velocity would increase by the amount that the velocity of Ball A was decreased (provided they have the same mass)?

In other words, in the collision, the initially moving ball will always come to a halt?

Thanks once again.

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Momentum?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum of a system before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. What is momentum and how is it calculated?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram meters per second (kg m/s).

3. How does the Law of Conservation of Momentum apply to real-life situations?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum applies to all interactions between objects, whether they are collisions or explosions. For example, when two cars collide, the total momentum of the two cars before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This law also applies to situations in space, such as the movement of planets and stars.

4. Can momentum be lost or gained?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Momentum, momentum cannot be lost or gained in a closed system. However, momentum can be transferred between objects during collisions or interactions. In a closed system, the total momentum will remain constant.

5. How does the Law of Conservation of Momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal and opposite, resulting in an equal and opposite change in momentum. This is why the total momentum of a closed system remains constant.