Law of Mass Action, where does mass come from?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Mass
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding the mass m0 term in a physics problem. They mention that the term is included in the number 4.9 x 10^15 with a factor of m0^3/2. Another person responds that the calculations of me* and mh* seem to be off by a factor of 2. The original person thanks them but is still confused about why the term was added and the differentiation of twice the energy. They find the answer to be confusing but at least they have the method now.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

9pBGtCA.jpg

Homework Equations

I need help.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please, please, please could someone tell me where the mass m0 term comes from? I'm at the end of a 7 hour revision session and need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##m_0## inside the parentheses has been put in for convenience. It is accounted for in the number ##4.9 \times 10^{15}## which includes a factor of ##m_0^{3/2}##.

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
The ##m_0## inside the parentheses has been put in for convenience. It is accounted for in the number ##4.9 \times 10^{15}## which includes a factor of ##m_0^{3/2}##.

Thanks very much for that, it had me very confused.

It appears to me that the calculations of ##m^*_e## and ##m^*_h## are off by factors of 2.

Likes rwooduk
TSny said:
It appears to me that the calculations of ##m^*_e## and ##m^*_h## are off by factors of 2.

Thanks. I'm not sure why he has added the term, and also he doesn't appear to have differentiated twice the energy at the beginning of the problem, he's just removed k. Very confusing answer to this question, but least I have the method now.

1. What is the Law of Mass Action?

The Law of Mass Action is a principle in chemistry that describes the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It states that the rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the product of the concentrations of the reactants.

2. How does the Law of Mass Action work?

The Law of Mass Action is based on the concept that in a chemical reaction, molecules collide with each other and form new chemical bonds. The more molecules there are in a given space, the more collisions will occur and the higher the rate of the reaction will be.

3. What is the role of mass in the Law of Mass Action?

Mass is a measure of the amount of substance in a given sample. In the Law of Mass Action, the concentrations of the reactants and products are directly proportional to the amount of substance present. Therefore, mass plays a crucial role in determining the rate of a chemical reaction.

4. Where does mass come from in the Law of Mass Action?

Mass comes from the individual atoms and molecules that make up a substance. In a chemical reaction, these atoms and molecules combine and rearrange to form new substances. The total mass of the reactants will always be equal to the total mass of the products, following the Law of Conservation of Mass.

5. How is the Law of Mass Action used in practical applications?

The Law of Mass Action is used in various fields, including industrial chemistry, pharmaceuticals, and environmental studies. It helps scientists understand and predict the rates of chemical reactions, which is crucial in designing and optimizing processes and products. It is also used to study the effects of pollutants and other substances on our environment.