Law of universal gravitation (am I doing it wrong)

In summary, the gravitational force between Earth and the sun can be calculated using the formula F=(Gm1m2)/r^2, where G is a constant of 6.67 x 10^-11 N m^2 /kg^2. Plugging in the masses of Earth and the sun (5.98 x 10^24 and 1.99 x 10^30, respectively) and the distance between them (1.5 x 10^11)^2, we get a result of 3.52 x 10^21 N. However, this is incorrect as the correct answer is 3.52 x 10^22 N. Upon rechecking the numbers, it appears that a
Thegiver431

Homework Statement

What is the gravitational force between Earth and the sun if the Earth has a mass of 5.98 x 10^24 and the sun has a mass of 1.99 x 10^30. The r is (1.5 x 10^11)^2[/B]

Homework Equations

F=(Gm1m2)/r^2

G= 6.67 x 10^-11 N m^2 /kg^2 ( note that this is a constant)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply plugged in, and gathered the like terms and put them together accordingly so i got [( 6.67)(5.98)(1.99)]/(1.5)^2=35.277 ... Then you would move the decimal to get 3.52[/B]

Next i got all the exponent so( i canceled out the ten) -11+30+24-22= 21

so I got 3.52 x 10^21 N but the answer key said it is 3.52 x 10^22 N

What did I miss or is it a typo?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thegiver431 said:
r is (1.5 x 10)^2
You really want to take another look at this number.

Bystander said:
You really want to take another look at this number.
I meant 1.5 x 10 ^11 (sorry)

Thegiver431 said:
Then you would move the decimal to get 3.52
And what did you do with the factor of 10 you removed in the process?

Your calculation is correct, but you made a mistake in the exponent. The correct answer is 3.52 x 10^22 N, not 3.52 x 10^21 N. This is because when multiplying numbers in scientific notation, you add the exponents rather than subtracting them. So the final exponent should be (24+30-11-22)=21, not 22. This is a common mistake, so it's important to double check your calculations and make sure you are following the correct rules for manipulating numbers in scientific notation.

1. What is the Law of Universal Gravitation?

The Law of Universal Gravitation, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the Law of Universal Gravitation calculated?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is calculated by using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of attraction between two objects, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted as G, is a fundamental constant that appears in the Law of Universal Gravitation. It is a measure of the strength of the gravitational force between two objects and has a value of 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

4. Does the Law of Universal Gravitation only apply to objects on Earth?

No, the Law of Universal Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe, not just those on Earth. It is a fundamental law of physics that governs the behavior of all objects with mass.

5. Is the Law of Universal Gravitation an exact law?

The Law of Universal Gravitation is considered to be an approximate law because it does not take into account certain factors, such as the curvature of space-time, that are accounted for in Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, for most practical purposes, the Law of Universal Gravitation is accurate enough to make accurate predictions and calculations.