Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Lawnmower Go-Kart drivetrain problem

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1
    I've got myself a lawnmower engine and I'm wanting to make a go-kart. I was going to rig it to a bevel gear combo and then just put it straight onto the back axle but I'm struggling to figure out the drive train.

What is the best way to do this?
    What do people normally do? Seems to be a lot of people on youtube making lawnmower engines into stuff.

Forgive my ignorance.

Cheers, Stuart.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

For the sake of simplicity and flexibility, I'd be mighty tempted to use pulleys and a drive belt.

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome Mclach..been a while since I ran one of these..a " fun Kart" typically uses # 35 roller chain..the carnival karts and go cart land cartsuse # 40 or 41 chain but I never had probs with # 35 and this is what the world cart racers runuse a 10 tooth clutch and 60 tooth drive sprocket on light karts..on heavier carts use 12 tooth and 72 tooth final drive sprocket..the 5 to 1 drive ratio give more spped but the 6 to 1 is good compromise.. the 7.2 to 1 is for fat kids...( final drive ratio = drive sprocket teeth count devided by clutch teeth count)
    PUT A CHAIN GUARD ON THE WHOLE THING!!!

www.appcokarting.com

call APPCO Karts, Parts & Accessories at 1-800-676-6636

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    Doing a go kart by yourself is quite compliacte. I have tried it once but it was really bad. That's why i bought a new one and everything is ok! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook