Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laws of Conservation of Energy

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    (Please make it a bit easy for a newbie student)
    Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. Then how did it ever come into being?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    Energy is never created. It is constantly transferred through the breakdown or creation of matter.

Or atleast that's what i'd gathered from studying. Don't quote me on it - correct me if i'm wrong.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3

So energy exists as ever, it is not created at least according to the Law of Conservation of Energy. We may need another Law to understand how it come into being.

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    In a place where the curvature in space-time is infinite or near infinite the laws of physics break down and do not apply. This is called a singularity, it occurs in black holes and of course, the Big Bang Singularity which created most of the matter in the Universe. The aforementioned first law of thermodynamics does not hold inside a singularity and matter may be created or destroyed, as was demonstrated by the Big Bang.

6. Sep 25, 2009 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That statement needs to be slightly amended to "Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed *in a closed system*". The correct way to ask your question is then "is the universe a closed system" or equivalently, "what are the boundary conditions on the universe"?

What is north of the north pole?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook