Laws of Conservation of Energy

Main Question or Discussion Point

(Please make it a bit easy for a newbie student)
Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. Then how did it ever come into being?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Energy is never created. It is constantly transferred through the breakdown or creation of matter.

Or atleast that's what i'd gathered from studying. Don't quote me on it - correct me if i'm wrong.

Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed. Then how did it ever come into being?

Thanks

So energy exists as ever, it is not created at least according to the Law of Conservation of Energy. We may need another Law to understand how it come into being.

In a place where the curvature in space-time is infinite or near infinite the laws of physics break down and do not apply. This is called a singularity, it occurs in black holes and of course, the Big Bang Singularity which created most of the matter in the Universe. The aforementioned first law of thermodynamics does not hold inside a singularity and matter may be created or destroyed, as was demonstrated by the Big Bang.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Thanks
That statement needs to be slightly amended to "Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be created nor be destroyed *in a closed system*". The correct way to ask your question is then "is the universe a closed system" or equivalently, "what are the boundary conditions on the universe"?

What is north of the north pole?