Laws of Motion- dropping book off building with a twist

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
a.k
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.0kg physics book is dropped from the roof of a skyscraper 240.1 m high. While the book is falling to the ground, a horizontal wind exerts a constant force of 11 N on it. Ignore air resistance.

a. How far from the building is the book when it hits the ground?
b. How long does it take the book to hit the ground?
c. What is the speed of the book when it hits the ground?


Homework Equations


ay=-g=-9.8m/s^2
ax=force of the wind/m


The Attempt at a Solution


Using the second formula,

11N/2kg=5.5 m/s^2

I would like some advice as to what to do now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I figured out some more info. on this problem.

For part b,

t=sqrt(2y/ay)

2*-240.1

sqrt(49)

t=7 secs
 
a.k said:
Ok, I figured out some more info. on this problem.

For part b,

t=sqrt(2y/ay)

2*-240.1

sqrt(49)

t=7 secs
Good. Now use the horizontal acceleration you calculated to solve part a.
 
So part a,

x=1/2axt^2

1/2(5.5)(7)^2
269.5/2
x=134.75 m

Im not sure if using "x" is correct. It is suppose to show horizontal accel, so ax?
 
a.k said:
So part a,

x=1/2axt^2

1/2(5.5)(7)^2
269.5/2
x=134.75 m
Good.

Im not sure if using "x" is correct. It is suppose to show horizontal accel, so ax?
Calling the horizontal component of acceleration ax is fine.
 
Ok I am working on part c and ax is actually 5.5 m/s^2. I am confusing myself.
 
a.k said:
Ok I am working on part c and ax is actually 5.5 m/s^2. I am confusing myself.
Find the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity when it hits the ground.
 
Vy=ayt
Vx=axt

Vy=-68.6 m/s
Vx=38.5 m/s

V=sqrt(38.5^2+-68.6^2)
sqrt(6188.21)
V=78.67 m/s