Newton's laws multiple choice question

In summary, Newton's Third Law says that the magnitude of the normal force from the table on the book is equal to mg.
mcdavid&goliath

Homework Statement

A book of mass m is sitting on a table of mass M. Which of the following statements regarding Newton's Laws of motion is true?

(a) Newton's Third Law says that the magnitude of the normal force from the table on the book is equal to mg.
(b) Newton's Second Law says that the normal force from the ground on the table is equal to Mg.
(c) Newton's Third Law says that the normal force from the ground on the table is equal and opposite the normal force from the book on the table.
(d) Newton's Second Law says that the magnitude of the gravitational force on the book from the Earth is equal and opposite the gravitational force on the Earth from the book.
(e) Newton's Third Law says that the normal force on the table from the ground is equal and opposite the normal force on the ground from the table.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
FA on B = -FB on A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that the answer is (e) since it's a statement of Newton's third law (the two normal forces are force pairs), but the answer key has (a) as the answer. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcdavid&goliath said:
I was thinking that the answer is (e) since it's a statement of Newton's third law (the two normal forces are force pairs), but the answer key has (a) as the answer.
I'm with you. (a) is also true, and also requires Newton's 3rd law, but it also requires other laws. It is only the combination of those laws that leads to (a).

Likes mcdavid&goliath
The force of the table on the ground is the weight of the table (plus book).
The normal force is the reaction force due to that weight.
The normal force is generally a reaction force to forces that you can describe using
the laws of physics and is perpendicular to the surface upon which it is acting.
That leaves out (e) because you know the force on the ground from the table.

Since the table is in contact with the ground, it must exert a normal force on the ground right?

J Hann said:
The force of the table on the ground is the weight of the table (plus book).
The normal force is the reaction force due to that weight.
The normal force is generally a reaction force to forces that you can describe using
the laws of physics and is perpendicular to the surface upon which it is acting.
That leaves out (e) because you know the force on the ground from the table.
Not sure what you are concluding there. Do you agree e is a valid answer or not? If not, on what grounds?

haruspex said:
Not sure what you are concluding there. Do you agree e is a valid answer or not? If not, on what grounds?

I would have to accept (e) as a correct answer in addition to (a).
It just seems that one would diagram the forces with the weight of the table (and book) acting
on the ground and the normal force would act in the opposite direction.
So if one wants to describe the normal force as any perpendicular force acting between
two objects in contact then (e) has to be acceptable.

haruspex said:
I'm with you. (a) is also true, and also requires Newton's 3rd law, but it also requires other laws. It is only the combination of those laws that leads to (a).
a is NOT true. You are misreading the answer.
mcdavid&goliath said:
(a) Newton's Third Law says that the magnitude of the normal force from the table on the book is equal to mg.
A) is not a statement about what the normal force is. It is a statement about what Newton's Third Law says.

It is indeed correct that for a book just sitting there (not accelerating) that the normal force will be equal to mg. But that is not a direct consequence of Newton's third law. That is a consequence of Newton's third law in conjunction with Newton's second law and the law of gravity [and the fact that nobody has their hands on the book].

As such, a) is not a correct statement.

jbriggs444 said:
a is NOT true. You are misreading the answer.
no, I read it OK, but was careless in my phrasing. I meant that the last part of the sentence in (a) is true, but that it can only be derived from N3 by combining it with other laws. Thanks for picking that up.

I apologize for the accusation. Thank you for accepting it gracefully.

jbriggs444 said:
I apologize for the accusation. Thank you for accepting it gracefully.
No apology necessary. It is important to challenge statements that may tend to confuse students.

Likes gracy
mcdavid&goliath said:

Newton's Third Law implies that the magnitude of the normal force from the table on the book is equal to the magnitude of the normal force from the book on the table. That magnitude is mg but you need Newton's Second Law to draw that conclusion.

(e) Newton's Third Law says that the normal force on the table from the ground is equal and opposite the normal force on the ground from the table.

Yes. I agree.

If you changed "Newton's Third Law" to "Newton's Second Law" in both those statements that would make (a) true and (e) false.

Likes mcdavid&goliath
Thanks everyone!

Okay, now that the OP is done, can I ask you what makes you think (a) has anything to do with Newton's Third Law?

The net force on the book in the vertical direction must be zero. There's a downward force of magnitude mg and an upward normal force, both exerted on the book.

Now, if they said the magnitude of the normal force from the book on the table equals mg, I'd agree that you need both N2 and N3.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles of physics that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to real-life situations?

Newton's laws of motion can be observed in many real-life situations, such as the motion of vehicles, the flight of airplanes, and the behavior of objects in space. They are also used in everyday activities such as throwing a ball, riding a bike, and driving a car.